Journaling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Journaling?

For those that don't know me, I am in limbo and I have a wife that is unable to maintain a job for other medical reasons then what everyone here is experiencing.

We filed for disability for her in 05' and were denied. We are going to file again and was going to help support her claim thru keeping track of what her daily life is like. I am also going to keep track of my daily life as well.

Any suggestions or advice on how to do this? Are there specific "buzz words," or experiences to make sure that get documented? I not sure if thats the right way to say what I'am asking. I just want to make sure we document the right stuff the right way. Any help would be appreciated.

This is a duplicate post from the post I made on the ssdi board to try to get as many responses as possible. Thank you.
    COURAGE IS BEING SCARED TO DEATH- BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY ~JOHN WAYNE~

I was approved in my first application, so i didn't experience a denial or use a laywer. I did ask for assistance from someone who was already on disability from ms...actually when he worked he was in insurance. and he explained to me that SSDI was just filing an insurance claim--that was why he was so helpful to me--it's just what he had done in the private market when he was working.

one of the big thingds he emphasized to me was wipe "fatigue" out of your vocabulary & replace it with "ms fatigue"

ms fayigue differs from normal fatigue and most disability claims due to ms have fatigue as a large reason....

so not able to complete the task without resting because of ms-fatigue, ect.

also there was a CBS new article about ssdi and in it, they identified 13 states with high denial rates--because they anticipate only 50% will appeal a deniel, the other 50% will just stop applying...so don't do that. AZ is one of those states and because of that you have a greater need of a laywer when applying....

the states they identified: NY,GA,AZ,CO,MO,AR,TN,KY,OH,SC,NC,WV,MI,KS

DON'T GET DISCOURAGED, YOU HAVE MORE HEADWINDS YOUR FIGHTING IN THIS APPLICATION!

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...ted;photovideo
    xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Do some research on the Social Security site--you're right about the buzz words. Each type of disability has certain criteria that make the disability eligible, and those are the things to focus on in your application. Look under Social Security disability programs--for example, the MS criteria are: disorganization of motor function; visual impairment; significant motor fuction fatigue--there's more on their web site. If you really focus on the SS criteria, you'll have better luck.

I'm not sure about this--been a loooong time--but I seem to remember that the determination was made if two of the three were in evidence.

The denial process is really depressing, but you have to persist with the appeals. My denials always showed up when I'd had a really bad day--does you a lot of good to get a "no, you're not disabled" when you can barely stand up.

Although an advocate or attorney takes a portion of your back SS pay, it can be well worth the money to enlist one. They are very familiar with the procedure, whereas most of us are not. Filing for disability is one of those things where you don't know what it is you don't know, and you generally can't progress until you know it. (But if you don't know that you don't know...well, you see how that works.) Find somebody who knows--it will smooth out the bumps in the process.
      Peg

Comment

I have heard that you are to describe your worst day. Since MS is so variable from person to person and day to day, don't go with averages or what you can do some of the time. Describe your worst day and how you manage.

Good luck.

Comment

My advise is don't refile, but appeal. I think everyone gets turned down the first time. Contact an attourney and go on with the process. You shouldn't have to pay the attourney anything unless he or she wins your case.

Comment

Remember, I am not filing disability for myself. Thank you for your insight to ms disability claims. I am journaling to keep track of my progression thru what ever dx I get and how it has effected my life. I already don't feel I could ever go back to construction due to the physical demands it requires. Yet that is all I am qualified or know how to do is physical labor work. As long as I can keep getting the scholarship and grants for school I can support my family with that and might have to get a part-time remidial job. I am not anywhere close to disability (knock on wood) just not able to do what I know how to do.

My wife's issues are a conglameration of issues there is no one issue that makes her disabled. She has scoliosis that makes her back and hips hurt due to them being uneven. Her thyroid stopped and her doc didn't seem to be worried about her weight gain untill she reached almost 200lbs from 110lbs. The added weight makes her back and hip pain worse. She's on thyriod meds now but still can't get back under 150lbs. She also suffers from chronic migraines and depression. All this combined makes it to where she has very few good day's and unemployable. There is no way she could manage to keep any kind of schedule. Just folding laundry for our family of five puts her down for a couple of days. Her physical and psychological issues all together are just too much for her to live a normal life. SSDI claimed she could be a cashier or other jobs that didn't require too much movement or lifting.

Hope this helps with suggestions for journaling and what to include what is too much information in a daily journal, key words, and any other advice on how to help her and also to keep track of my progression to give a base line and to show how things might change over time for me.
            COURAGE IS BEING SCARED TO DEATH- BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY ~JOHN WAYNE~

Comment

Originally posted by centerles3 View Post
              My advise is don't refile, but appeal. I think everyone gets turned down the first time. Contact an attourney and go on with the process. You shouldn't have to pay the attourney anything unless he or she wins your case.
              I totally agree here! I started with a lawyer and won one my first try. I would get legal help at this point.

CrazyCatLady
              MS Does Not Define Me.....My Love of Tea Does! LOL!

Comment

Hi Greg, hope this helps you some-- here in Wisconsin when you file for disability, the papers you have to fill out have questions that concern how long you can stand, sit, walk, how much you can lift, ect. I answered them, and most of the time explained them also. Hubby and I were both surprised at how many things have become more difficult for me now.

We did it all on the computer, even with the info I had written down in front of me, with dates of doctor appt, clinics, what tests, when and where, meds I was on, past work history, it still took about 5-6 hours on the computer. Man, I had a headache!!!!!

I explained everything in detail, and agreed to a phone consultation. They sent for all my doctors records and guess what?? I was approved in about 4 months, no questions at all- didn't have to appeal or get a lawyer. They said I was a good candidate! That was my best Christmas present ever!

Good luck to both you and your spouse and hope you get some answers with your "limbo" situation.

Comment

Working...
                X