Suffering from dysarthria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suffering from dysarthria

Hi I am having my second physical relaspe well at least I am noticing anyway. I think I am suffering from dysarthria. I will not offically know until my neurologist apointment on the 27th of this month.

My main question is, if anyone has this or had to deal with this?

Also would like to know how did you deal with it?

What did you do that seem to make it better or less noticable?
    ~*~miranda~*~
    hmmyeah thats me

therapy

I haven't noticed this is myself. My only speech problems come from saying the wrong word or the inability to think of a word at times. This is usually when I am hot or very fatigued.

But my mother and another close friend both had it at times. Speech and language therapy was used. They had good results.

Perhaps you could call and get an earlier appointment or talk to them on the phone to ask if speech therapy could be started. You do not want it to progress to where you are having trouble swallowing.

Good Luck

Comment

Thank you

Thankyou for your response. I did some of the research on dysarthria. I am pretty sure that I have that. I will not know for sure until I see my neurologist on the 27th of this month. It sure is hard to stay positive with MS. It just seems like there is always something coming around the corner.
      ~*~miranda~*~
      hmmyeah thats me

Comment

I have occasional difficulties with dysarthria. Some words, I have to actually break down into syllables. I have most difficulty with English (my native language), but have experienced this with some of my other languages (except the gutteral ones, for some strange reason).
        MS, it's a brain thang!
        Proud to have served, U.S Army WAC

Comment

I do have a problem but I'm not sure it is connected with MS. About a year ago I started to get hoarse. Over the course of a year it has gradually gotten worse so that now others can not hear anything I say to them. There has been no time during that time when I could speak normally. I have seen the ENT and neurologist. I did not get any help. I don't think this neurologist spescializes in MS. I have gotten no answers.

Lois

Comment

I have one sided tongue problems and nerve damage on that side.

Consequently there are some words I can't pronounce. My tongue doesn't work right to get those words out, but I've been taught to substitute other consonant sounds, and to tell the truth, it works out pretty well.

I can't say a "th" unless I say it really, really, slow, so there's another sound I substitute for it and it works.

There are phrases the neuros/speech pathologists test to see which part of your proununciation is being affected. Everybody's different, and depending on which nerves are affected, will influence your articulation.

Baby Hippopotamus, British Constitution, West Register Street seem to be the most common terms. (I do great with the first two, but when I try to say West Register Street it sounds like I've been on a binge ) it all sort of slurs together.

A speech pathologist is the best one to evaluate you if you think there's a problem with speech.

And Lois...same with hoarseness. Forget the ENT and the neuro, get a referral to a speech pathologist. They have you do tests (like saying "ah" as loud as you can and see how long before it trails off) and all kinds of other fun stuff. Hoarseness is a symptom that can be caused by MS. Ever listen to Neil Cavuto, he even had an operation because his got so bad. So see if you can get a referral for a speech evaluation.

Comment

Thank you

Thanks you all for the valuable input guys. I really do appreciate it especially since I have never went through this before.
              ~*~miranda~*~
              hmmyeah thats me

Comment

Working...
              X