Sore back and stiffness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sore back and stiffness

I almost always wake up with a sore back and it takes me awhile after getting up to feel like doing much. I wonder if it's my mattress or just my MS. When I'm up, I walk and sit crooked - leaning to one side.

I know this affects my back muscles and I'm working on strengthening them. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Trying going on an anti-inflammatory diet it has helped me greatly with stiffness and sore joints and muscles.

I would wake up every morning barely able to get out of bed my back and neck were so sore. I was blaming it on my mattress too. Going anti-inflammatory has helped so much, I can't blame my bed anymore, but I would still love to get a new mattress.
    Opiegirl, Dx 1991
    Have never used DMD's.

LDN 9/2011-9/2012 & just started again 6/14
    Estriol 9/12-present
    Still Hopeful.

Comment

My Suggestion

I would suggest some type of yoga (possibly seated yoga to start)...the MS Active Source people have a new one...I like the one sponsored by PBS television called "Yoga for the Rest of Us..I like it because it has different levels including back care basics....Let it be light, basic but consistent....just doing a little everyday amy help
      [I]Tellnhelen
      Progressive Relapsing MS

Comment

I have severe pain in my back most days. If I stay in one position too long I get "stuck" in that position and need to hold on to something or crawl to a place where I can stretch out to get upright again, once I do I am fine; but something as simple as rolling over in bed is difficult, yet, I still work full time and enjoy many of my activities.

I've started really watching my diet and riding a stationary bike but truth is, I think the back issues are here to stay. I've tried countless medications and nothing really works for me. I have been considering trying chiropractic care. I'll post if I do and it works.

I used to hear stories of athletes that would take an hour or better just to get out of bed and get started in the morning...I never thought that would be me someday, but it is.
        Hope for the best, prepare for the worst and that way you have all your bases covered.

Comment

sore back too

I have the exact same and also wondered if it is my mattress.
          And i tend to lean to my left side too.
          So now i hear that it's not just me i guess the back has to be a part of the MS
          I think i will try the Yoga see if that loosens things up a little

Comment

The last couple of days, I've been waking up in intense pain and very, very stiff. I'm almost screaming in pain when I get out of bed.

I've done this before in the past too, usually when I'm having a flare up of symptoms (which I am right now.) I don't think it's my mattress or the position I'm sleeping in, because the rest of the time, I am fine.

If you have times when you wake up and you're in pain, then it's most likely your MS causing it. You might try a muscle relaxer like baclofen or Zanaflex when you go to bed. (Though that doesn't help me much!)
            Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
            Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
            Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I also have back pain. I feel like my back is numb between my shoulder blades but at the same time it burns and aches and tingles. It is also very sensitive to the touch almost as if sunburned. My Nuero gave me Nuerontin and that seems to help or was helping I was on 900 mg a day but after a call yesterday telling her the pain was becoming more intense again she upped it to 1200 mg. We will see what happens next.

Comment

pool

My usual mantra. I get in the pool to loosen up my joints and pains.

I would be more miserable if I did not get in the pool. I do it almost every day. I teach and participate in water aerobics and water yoga. It really helps for me and is a exercise that you can stay cool at usually.

I do not follow a anti inflammatory diet. But I eat dark cherries and use tumeric. They both have shown anti inflammatory properties.
                God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Back pain

Thanks for all the ideas. My Dr. just asked me if I had tried Yoga, so maybe I'll try that for relief from the pain.

Comment

Working...
                  X