IV Steroids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IV Steroids

I've had MS for close to 10 years and have done pretty well with it - on Copaxone but have never needed IV steroids. I've taken an oral taper on 3 occasions now - one time it worked, and the other 2 times it didn't, including this time when my symptoms have actually gotten worse. I am seriously mulling starting an IV course since this is starting to seriously affect my quality of life - numb from the waist down, feet are bricks, some trouble walking and more trouble with balance than usual. I always thought I would never go for the IV unless I really couldn't get around or function in some necessary way. I'm close to that point but not quite there. Going to set up another neuro appt. tomorrow and get his advice, but I'm hoping to go in with more knowledge and a better sense of where I stand before I agree to anything with him. What is your experience and opinion?

I have had Iv twice and both times they really helped. first time was when I was dx'd and the second was 2yrs ago I spent a week in the hospital had an ecaserbation. I personally like what it has done for me, but I understand why you wouldnt want to.
    I hope all will go well for you xoxox
    Kari

Comment

I have been on a pulse IVSM every 2 months now for 2 1/2 years. I just had my first of 3 days treatment today. They seam to help me alot and I look forward now to them. I really have no side effect. Here what your doctor has to say and have an open mind. Good luck

Comment

I too have just completed my first three day IV of SoluMedrol and I must admit is helps. I was reluctant to accept this recommendation from my Dr. because I had taken it while in the hospital once and the side effects were inconvenient.

This time seems to be better. Oddly enough my excruciating neck pain is gone and I have more stamina. I don't know how long the positive effects will last.

MD recommends I do this 4x/year.

Comment

I'm not dx yet, and only started this ride earlier this month with my first bout of ON. I was very prejudiced against steroids. My husband takes oral steroids, which make him grouchy and quick to anger, and that's on 10mg! So when the dr told me I'd be taking 500mg twice a day for three days, I was sure someone in my household was going to end up dead. I was so reluctant to do it. However, I was pleasantly surprised. I had very few symptoms other than insomnia. (I could only stay asleep for about 1-2 hours at a time.) I learned not to automatically assume I'd have all the symptoms there could be.

One thing I noticed about support boards (of any kind I've ever visited) people often don't post if there's nothing to report. For every person who reports bad side effects, there are many people out there who didn't bother to go onto a support board and report being okay. Boards are for venting, but the problem with that is that the vents add up and people read them, one after the other. So eventually you will end up hearing so many bad stories that one would think that it's the norm. Try it out, and see for yourself what IV steroids will do for you. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
          X