Copaxone scare update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copaxone scare update

Sorry it took so long to update after my appointment.

The MRI showed that my lesions were all smaller, one was even gone. But, I do have a new small one, in an area nuero said wouldn't cause symptoms.

Nuero asked me that if I could continue to take the shots it seems to be in my best interest as it is showing to have positive effects. But, that if I continue to have those post injection reactions we would rethink it. (I have had two in a two month period after ten months of use)

Nuero did want me to try manual as I use the auto-inject. I am not sure I can do that, yet.

I also admit that I have skipped an injection since then, I wasn't feeling good, already sick to my stomach. I knew that if I had a reaction and already sick I would have to go to the ER and that is the last thing I wanted.

So, I am going to listen to my body more. I don't think an occasional skip will hurt as long as it isn't a habit. I do want to take it regularly as I do feel that it really has and is helping.

The nuero said they don't know why people have those kinds of reactions yet. He said maybe it was hitting a blood vessel. I have done that before without having a reaction, and those times I had a reaction, it didn't bleed at all and when I hit a blood vessel it gushes.

I have been thinking on it, I wonder if I hit a muscle and that is why? It didn't bleed after, and even more thinking (on a good day) I realized something about the shot itself. When I popped the button and the medicine is supposed to go in, both times it hesitated and made a clicking noise I almost didn't hear it. Sorta like the medicine didn't want to go in.

Does anyone think that hitting a muscle could cause the injection to not want to go in, or could cause the post injection reaction?

I do know next time, if I feel and hear the hesitation I am pulling it out immediately and skipping that night, hopefully avoiding another really bad night.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you are doing well.

Sorry to hear of your reactions with Copaxone. I've taken it for over a year and in that time have done only one autoject, all the rest of the shots have been manual. Also, when I inject, I push the plunger very slowly -- the injection can take 30 seconds or more. Once or twice my wife (she does the ones I can't reach) inadvertently hit a muscle and that did hurt.

Because of that, I did ask for a refresher on injection locations. Shared Solutions will do that (needs a doctor approval) and it was really helpful when the nurse came out to the house and showed us again how to find good spots with plenty of "subcutaneous" areas. She had a great illustration (cross-section) of the different layers and good insight on how deep (or not) you have to go to get there. So you might ask for another home visit.

Good luck and don't give up.

Comment

Thanks

That's a good idea. I will have to ask about doing that.

Comment

I always manually inject. It's easier (for me) to control depth and timing. I usually take about 30second (as the other poster) to inject. As I'm injecting, if I start to feel any burning or anything, I pause and wait for it to stop before I continuing pushing the plunger. Sometimes I can inject faster, sometimes slower. I think it depends on if I'm using a fattier site (hip) or not (arm/leg).

I used to always use the Autoject with my leg injections. I had an accident early on doing a manual leg injection - I hit a muscle and oh my god the pain was excruciating. I had trouble walking for a few days, felt like the world's worst charlie horse that wouldn't let up. For months I was freaked out about it and wouldn't inject manual. Then a few months ago I decided to try it again and as long as I'm careful, no problems. I take five minutes picking a site to inject on my legs, though. Ridiculous! Really the five minutes is me convincing myself it will be okay, even though I only had the problem once.

You should called Shared Solutions and ask for a re-training session with one of their field nurses. They have great ideas and can evaluate you better in person than any of us can online.

Comment

Working...
        X