I keep spilling my coffee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I keep spilling my coffee

I really enjoy a cup of coffee now and then throughout the day. The hard part seems to be getting it to my mouth. Lately, my hand jerks as I lift the cup towards my mouth. I even slosh my travel cup.

Does anyone else have this problem or ideas of how to resolve it? I am getting coffee on all of my clothes and all over the floor. You can joke about it once or twice but it gets old, fast.

Can your fine motor skills be affected by MS? I drop things and have trouble typing, using a calculator or holding a pencil.

I found a wonderful cup that is insulated made by aladan and sold at target that is almost spill proof. It looks like a regular soft drink beverage container with a lid sold at fast food joints. The straw has a knob at the bottom so it doesn't fall out. I call it my SIPPIE CUP. LOL.

I kept knocking over my glass of water I kept next to me making a big mess. Now if I knock it over no mess !!!

Target has them in the kitchen section for about 9.00. I also saw them at bed bath and beyond.

Comment

I had plans to visit Target tomorrow so I will look for that. I was thinking that I need a sippy cup for grown ups, so this sounds perfect.

Comment

I have been spilling things it seems like forever. I spill the whole cup of coffee. I CAN BE SITTING AT THE TABLE EATING WITH MY FORK IN MY HAND AND IT JUST FALLS OUT OF MY HAND TO THE FLOOR. I DON'T DROP IT, IT JUST FALLS OUT OF MY HAND AS WELL AS OTHER THINGS.

Lois

Comment

This happens to me too, so I don't really have any advice to give.. Mine seems to come on for a week, then just goes away for the most part for a bit, and comes back? no rhyme or reason

Originally posted by katvar View Post
          I really enjoy a cup of coffee now and then throughout the day. The hard part seems to be getting it to my mouth. Lately, my hand jerks as I lift the cup towards my mouth. I even slosh my travel cup.

Does anyone else have this problem or ideas of how to resolve it? I am getting coffee on all of my clothes and all over the floor. You can joke about it once or twice but it gets old, fast.

Can your fine motor skills be affected by MS? I drop things and have trouble typing, using a calculator or holding a pencil.

Comment

Sorry you're having problems. It could be an intention tremor which is very common w/MS. You can google the term but basically, the closer you get to "the target" the more your hand shakes or jerks.

Comment

I have to laugh at this, even tho it's frustrating. I cannot make a cup of coffee and safely carry it to the next room without a trail dripping on our hardwood floors. It's like Hansel and Gretel leaving a tell-tale mark of where they're going!! ( I recently switched to my travel mug with lid that closes. )

The mail culprit is bc of my walking, but I have loss of fine motor skills as well. I can't even cut up some of my food with knife and fork Weird when you're out at a restuarant and have to have someone else cut up your food for you.... sigh.... But who cares?? You just do what you can.
              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

The best solution for me is a Travel Mug. I also have one from Biogen that the lid screws on a quarter turn.
                Bill
                Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Excellent idea, Bill!
                  “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
                  Diagnosed 1979

Comment

I frequently have the same problems with respect to loss of fine motor skills - drop keys, pencils, and of course, whatever drink cup I have. I got the adult "sippy cup" like Rose described and it is perfect for cold drinks. For coffee I use a thermal travel mug.

Comment

Leave coffee on the table

I can't pick up a cup or glass. I use very long straws. That way there is no spill.

The travel cup is great also. Had a hard time finding one several years ago.

KK

Comment

I looked at several thermal travel mugs. There are so many out there that is confusing.

Does paying more guarantee a better cup?

I have bought several or received them as gifts in the past. They all end up getting leaky (I am not so good at screwing the lid on straight)

Thanks for all of your input? I know that these are little things but its the little things that make life better.

Comment

I have an REI membership (it's a giant co-op) and get a lot of stuff there that I use to accommodate various MS issues. I got water and hot beverage bottles there that are designed for camping/sports. They are stainless and basically spill-proof. Brand is Kleen Kanteen (lots of stroes carry the brand). What I like about REI is that I can use whatever I buy for any length of time, and if it doesn't work for me I can return it for a full refund (only if I purchased it on my membership). I hate that I have to buy stuff to deal with the MS but it's nice to know I'm not investing in something that's going in the trash if it doesn't work out.

My mother has rheumatoid arthritis and while she doesn't have any issues with tremor, she has a lot of difficulty picking anything up with a handle that isn't just the right width. I think she'd been through at least a dozen different designs before settling on one. It looks like a table-top garbage can with a rubberized grippy handle. It doesn't have to look pretty, it just has to work well!

Comment

For Travel Mugs, price rarely has much to do with quality. An all plastic one may be best, it won't usually break when you drop it. $5 is a common price for them, my favorite is from TA, Travel Centers of America (used to be Truck Stops of America).
                            Bill
                            Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Originally posted by wkikta View Post
                              The best solution for me is a Travel Mug. I also have one from Biogen that the lid screws on a quarter turn.

I got hooked on travel mugs a couple years back. When you get shakey (and who doesn't get the shakes when they need a good cup of coffee? ) the lids make them super handy.
                              I'm also the personal assistant and butler to two cats so spill proof lids can keep the floor very clean.
                              I've got some brushed steel (traditional) travel mugs and some cool plastic mugs that look like the large cardboard coffee cups with the "peaked" plastic covers. They were so cool I bought extras as Xmas presents. They were also so cool that two of them have already been accidently thrown away.

Comment

Working...
                              X