No announcement yet.

Graduate Student needing advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dmc2010, way to take action. It's unfortunate that people can be so callous and ignorant as to ignore the plight of the needy. It is in those situations that the needy need to get aggressive, and that is just what you have done. I'm proud of you. Like you, because I am young I am often looked over and judged as someone who will just accept how I am treated. It is then that I smile, and show someone just what this 5 foot tall 25 year old is made of, and it isn't pretty, but I make dang sure that my point comes across. And of course being a lawyer doesn't hurt Best of luck to you. There are plenty of free legal sources available to you, and I'd be more than happy to let you know where to look in case you need some legal resources.

Comment

when I was in the registered nursing program the college had to make accommodations for me for a learning disability. I received extra time to test and was allowed to test in a special office with small testing booths so I wouldn't be distracted and pressured by other students.

A couple of my professors tried to attack my accommodations. I told them I had the right to receive the accommodations and that my test results were confidential as to why I had a disability. They tried to use it against me to get me out of the program. I protested to the dean of the nurses program and to the office that took care of the learning disability and they both agreed with me. They restricted all information so the instructors could not access it.

Comment

Info

I was working on my Masters and in my state they had to follow ADA and reasonable accomidations. I too had a professor that challenged me and I unfortunately let it slide. It would not have changed my outcome. I was not doing well healthwise and needed to take a leave anyway.

I am sorry I did not pursue it. I am trying to get back in and we will see what happens.

If the professor does not need to give you more time then a TA or tutor should be accomidated to you. Good luck and keep us updated.
        God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Our son was a TA in grad school. Some profs can be really callous in their approach to grad students in general (whether that's legal or not for a disabled student, I don't know.) But I'd try appealing to the TA, I think you'd get further that way if you run into a prof who's non-compliant with your request for extra time.

Comment

Update

Hi everyone thank you for the continued support. Rosepetals thanks for sharing that I really needed to read something like that. I have jumped through a lot of hoops and felt forced to reveal my disability to the department head and a few others including my advisors. I also made it clear that they are the only people who know and I expect my situation to stay confidential. My advisor is still being no help and unsupportative.

Anyway I have turned in all appeal paperwork to the department head, dean and the legal team on campus. I am waiting for a response. If I do not get the response I want I have an attorny lined up so wish me luck. They have just seen the begining of my perservance.

Comment

I wish you the best

Originally posted by kelm10 View Post
              I was working on my Masters and in my state they had to follow ADA and reasonable accomidations. I too had a professor that challenged me and I unfortunately let it slide. It would not have changed my outcome. I was not doing well healthwise and needed to take a leave anyway.

I am sorry I did not pursue it. I am trying to get back in and we will see what happens.

If the professor does not need to give you more time then a TA or tutor should be accomidated to you. Good luck and keep us updated.

kelm10 Thank you for your post,I wish you the best and dont give up on it! I have learned that I think that the powers that be hope you will give up and walk away. Dont walk away if you are able please do continue and keep us posted on the outcome.

Comment

Good luck! The one thing I can suggest is this... try to find one advocate in the program. Often times, the professors are relying on their -often limited- experiences with disabled students to judge everyone. They simply don't know what help you need. If you can find one person who actually understands, you'll be much better off. Try approaching the TAs first and then the prof.

Comment

Accrediting bodies

I work at a University, So the first thing I would do is ask for a sitdown with the Department head, If that doesn't work request a sitdown with the dean. And if that doesn't work I would simply tell the Dean that it is law to make reasonable accomodations for people with disabilities, and what you are requesting is definitely reasonable, If they can't accomodate this then you would be more than happy to contact a layer about rights for people with disabilities. Also you can tell him you can contact the accreditting bodies to ask them about the situation. A school is only as good as its accreditation, so this is very important to the school I always hate to use scare tactics but sometimes it calls for it.

Comment

Follow up

Jabalistreri, I must say thank you. I never thought of the fact a university has to answer to someone. I have gotten some really great advice from all of you so thanks. I am waiting on a reply from the department and in my letter I did mention the ADA and reasonable accomindations. You are right you hate to have to break it down to them like that i.e a lawyer, but you are right it has to be done. As I said I am following this all the way through especially since I now know my department has a bad reputation with the disability office. I have also consulted with an lawyer and he is on standby. When all of this headach is over I am signing up to be a mentor to students with disabilities and act a source of support for them especially the ones coming into my department. Well I will keep all posted. Peace

Comment

Update

Hello everyone I hope is well. I just wanted to post an update. I am still going through the problems with my department. I see the sad side of disclosing a disability. People will say they are not aganist you but they are just hopeing you will go away. I will not go away but I am even more determined to finish the program I started with. Even if I have to speak with the schools president. I will keep the updates going so hopefully I will be able to help someone with the thread. Peace

Comment

ADA and grad school

DMC -

I'm a PhD student at a private university. I wasn't diagnosed until after I finished courses, but I have been in touch with the office that handles transportation for disabled and injured/temporarily disabled students. I've also had to find out if certain "required" events would be held in air-conditioned rooms in the hot weather.

My MS is under wraps (the former department head, my adviser, and the dean know, and some because I'd just had extremely good working relationships with them for other reasons), so I just note that I have "an ADA-recognized medical condition that significantly worsens with heat". It's amazing how quickly things happen when I mention "ADA".

The ADA applies to all but the tiniest companies, so a state university should be required to make all "reasonable accommodations". Any professor teaching a graduate student is likely tenure-track (if not fully tenured), so there shouldn't be any issue about contract violations for this professor. Even if there were, I'd be tempted to press him/her on it, because I'd love to see a union react to someone trying to violate ADA!

Also, if this is a state school, they stand to be hurt quite a bit if they don't comply with the ADA. Sometimes just mentioning that you are planning to consult with an ADA lawyer - even if you haven't opened the phone book yet - gets things moving quickly. Just use that sort of phrase diplomatically, and sparingly, unless you have already engaged a lawyer. Reputation is everything in the academy.

Keep us updated, and all best!

Comment

update

Hello I am just following up with my situation. No luck, my disability rep is really of no help and I feel like I am knocking my head aganist the door. They gave me my letter of dissmissal so I have to decide what to do next. It is a scary thing to be treated in this matter. I will now start with filing woth the office of civil rights. Once they see they cannot just treat people any way maybe the next person to come along will have it a lot better. Thanks for all of your inputs. I wish the best for all.

Comment

Chiming in a similiar boat

I am in an MBA program and my last professor was unwilling to go with my reasonable allowances. I was supposed to get an extra 4 days to turn in assignments when needed. I was in the hospital for 3 days and the assignment was due the next day, well I slept for 3 days because I felt so terrible. There was no way I could finish my 10 page paper. The professor graded the assignment but took off 25% for me turning it in late. I should have had an A in her class, but got a B because of this. I challenged it, but it was at the teachers discression, and she thought that I should have had the assignments done early enough for it not to be an issue.

I really feel for you in this boat, but the dean is the way to go. Don't approach it in a hard fashion, but I would really tell him about how you are being treated and ask him/her for suggestions on how to handle it. I have found if you make others feel important and show them you value their opinion, they are more willing to help.
                            Time is but a name we give to the passing moments of life, it is these moments that hold all the meaning.

Comment

hang in there

Hang in there dmc and others. Don't let them win.

I have not gotten readmitted to my program. I have not tried. There is no money so therefore no school then. I am looking for resources yet, including the NMSS.
                              God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

UpDate

Hello everyone I am still trying to resolve this matter. I just recieved an invatation to meet with the Dean, department head and dean in the graduate program. I am intrested to see what they have to say since they have hindered my ability to realign myself in the program. I have to account for my time in the program and I do not have a clue as to how to account for that time when I have to seek employment. This whole thing has really been sad. I will keep keep you posted.

Comment

Working...
                                X