Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In need of Medical help...What are my options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In need of Medical help...What are my options?

I have had MS for 12 years. I lost my health insurance 2 years ago. In January, I noticed a slight flare up and it has progressed over time and I am so bad now I can hardly walk. I drop things, trip and have no strength at all. My whole left side went numb and my right arm and hand. It takes all I have to walk or pick something up. I could go on and on about the symptoms, but I need to know if anyone knows of any resources that can help me get medical care and fast.
    We have no money at all. My husband makes $200 over the limit to get medical help from the State and my neuro will see me but I have to come up with cash to pay for the appointment. Not to mention any medication. I am about to walk into the ER, but I put that off because we had to file bankruptcy last year on medical bills. It is a cycle I don't want to keep going through.
    How can I get help? I need medication so this doesn't keep getting worse! Anyone know of anything? If I went to the ER...Do you know if there is anything they could do for MS?
    This is insane....Our county needs medical care at least for people with disabilities! I live in Oregon.
    Thanks for the help!!

When it comes to the CRAB drugs, at least some of the companies, I think, have programs to help people who cannot pay for their therapy.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

Hello Maria

Welcome!

How can I get help? I need medication so this doesn't keep getting worse! Anyone know of anything? If I went to the ER...Do you know if there is anything they could do for MS?
      This is insane....Our county needs medical care at least for people with disabilities!
      Are you eligible for SSDI? I had to retire early due to my MS disability, and I receive Social Security Disability Insurance and also have Medicare.

Not sure why you aren't eligible?

In any case, here is some info on Prescription Assistance and Funding:

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=100575

Sorry you are going through this. It must be extremely stressful for you.

If you call your local chapter of the National MS Society, I'm pretty sure that they can provide you with info on how to find resources in your area.

Hopefully you will find some help soon.

Take care,
      KoKo
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

The best way to get help is to ask. For me it was the hardest thing in the world. I asked my neuro how much he would charge if I paid cash. I applied for financial assistance to receive some testing at the hospital. I applied for SSDI (that was hard to suck up). I asked the pharmacy how I could fill prescriptions for less. I asked the drug company how I could apply for medication assistance.

I won't lie, I have had to do a lot of paperwork. It seemed like I was faxing paperwork everyday in February and March. I was approved to receive my Copaxone free of charge for 1 year. I got a big discount from my neuro and the hospital gave a discount and a payment plan. SSDI is still processing.

I also have applied for my children to participate in CHAMPVA because my husband is a disabled veteran. That is in the final stages. I applied to receive health care at my local VA because I am a veteran. I am now in the process of receiving an appointment. Then I will get my medication from them.

Use the internet - there are a lot of programs out there. I have been amazed at how helpful people are when you are upfront about your situation. Don't forget to contact MS groups for referalls to assistance in your area. I know we have a "free clinic" here that has sliding scale fees based on your income.

Comment

Thank you all!

I wanted to thank all of you who took the time to share information with me. Since I wrote, things have only gotten worse. I am so afraid. I don't know if the things that are happening to me are MS or not anymore. Strange things!!
          I called and got a cash appointment with my neuro. I have no other option at this point. I have spent days on the Internet and phone searching...I keep hitting road blocks, I need rx in order to get medication, to get and rx I have to see a doctor, to see a doctor I have to have money.

My local MS clinic at the university needs a referral for me to go there, in order to get the referral I have to go into my neuro. OMG....Around and around in circles. INSANE stuff for ill people to have to go through. It is America I live in right?

I applied for SSDI and my first hearing is next month. I have waited 2 years for this day but am afraid for it too because I have not gotten all my med. records due to being so ill. I am hoping and praying!!
          I gathered enough money to see my neuro tomorrow. That should help. I am so excited I could cry. LOL. Never thought I would be so excited to see a doctor before!
          Thank you all for your help. I appreciate it!!

Take care and see you around

maria

Comment

For SSDI they will get all of your Records. They will contact every Doctor you list.
            Bill
            Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Wow....it sounds exactly like my experience! I also live in Oregon. I applied with OHSU, received a discount of 90%. Then there's the referral process...(is it really necessary for them to make quite so many hoops??) I applied with Mult. county clinic, the doc there was FABULOUS!!! She referred me, made the appt., did blood work, gave a script, took an x-ray, hooked me up to a neuro!!!!!!!! I paid $20 for the visit with the county so far. Whatever else they charge me will be paid when I can.
              ps...I am on a single income, if worse comes to worse you could get a divorce and just live together.
              Patty

Comment

Working...
              X