Second Opinion ???????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second Opinion ???????

OK so I have been thinking about going for a second opinion, have had a referral and appt. sch.
    Now......I feel guilty
    Maybe its my fault my current neuro hasnt done more than prescribe baclofen?
    Last week when I had a real hard time, and called there he never called back.....so I thought.
    Today I had 13 voicemails on my cell.
    Several from someone at his office stating that my work number wasnt working. Which I could believe they have my direct line and sometimes it doesnt work.
    Then one from him on this past Friday.
    The direct line not working has happened before and they have managed to reach me at work. Maybe the looked up comany name got number then called and asked for me, really not sure.
    So now knowing he did try to call, although I kinda think a little late.....well bottom line I feel bad.
    How do you go about the whole second opinion thing, do I tell him, does this mean I dont go back to him, what if I like him more than the second guy. What if he gets annoyed that I went to a second guy and wont take me back......
    My appt. with current neuro is 4-25, new neuro is 4-26
    Someone please advise on the wholeprocess of second opinion, etc. HELP!

Do not feel guilty...2nd opinions are standard in the medical field.

I would tell him you're getting a second opinion and ask for a copy of your records. If you like the 2nd guy, that's ok, if not, go back to the first one, or go for a third. It sounds like you have some reservations about this neuro...intuition is golden.

Remember this is your body and life. You are your own best advocate, be assertive and ask a lot of questions.

Good luck
    Opiegirl, Dx 1991
    Have never used DMD's.

LDN 9/2011-9/2012 & just started again 6/14
    Estriol 9/12-present
    Still Hopeful.

Comment

Hi Debster

I don't think most doctors view a second opinion as a negative move against them.

My Neuro diagnosed me with PPMS, then he wanted me to go to an MS Center in Cleveland for a second opinion on the course of my MS, and he wanted their expertise on treatment options.

A good doctor, in my opinion, would welcome a second opinion for their patient - especially with a disease like MS which doesn't really have a specific MS test, so to speak.

Also, my second opinion Neuros did not become my regular Neuros. My regular Neuro is still my regular Neuro - if that makes sense. In other words, a second opinion doesn't necessarily mean you are switching docs.

Take care,
      KoKo
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Dont meen to be pushy

I lostd here a whl ago but didnt get no repl so was wondrn did I do it rong? Abot this ? I thik mayb I shod go se a new doc to but my daughtr says no

Comment

welcome

Well hello
          When I first came here I could never find my replies in time you will figuire it out. Go to your User CP and Threads it should show your threads there
          PPL here are pretty good at replying
          I would go to a new doc I am going to a new one. My fisrt one doesnt give me a chance to ask questions he is in to much of a hurry. I need answers not just here is my opinon now be on your way.
          This a great place so hope to see more of you here. Keep us updated.

Comment

A good DR won't mind so don't feel badly.

If you like the second DR better, it's perfectly fine to switch.
            (I did, thank God)

I personally am not impressed with your first DR.
            (Reminds me of my first DR)

Comment

Working...
            X