Kind of odd question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kind of odd question...

My fingernails have always been on the brittle side. They just wouldn't grow past the end of my finger without peeling or breaking.

Now they are really long. They are thick and strong. They don't look gnarly or gross, just really long. Has anyone else had this happen? I wondered if it might be a medication side effect. Could it be a hormone thing? I am in my early 40's.

I am going to the salon because I just can't manage them - they keep growing back so quickly.

It could be both, neither, or either. I have long natural nails and have for years. I used to bite my nails but suddenly stopped. (Why? Something triggered in me and it wasn't appealing to continue to bite them. Weird, I know.) I don't take any vitamins for it, they just grow fast by themselves. My hair is the same way. (Grows faster than I am able to keep up with it.) Since your hair and nails are made of the same thing, I would think that the growth cycles would be similar. Are they?
    Rae Roy

Comment

I think it is the gelatin in my 4AP capsule. My hair is thicker than it used to be, but thats not saying much. Thin hair runs in both sides of the family. I take 4APs a day so maybe that just gives my nails a boost. The capsules seem gelatinish but I don't know for sure.

Comment

i've been searching through threads for hair loss. this one is a bonus because my nails that used to be beautiful, long and strong are now breaking for no reason and peeling.
        my hairdresser had to cut my bangs differently to try and hide the hair loss at my temples. but the rest of my hair is very thick and healthy
        i take calcium and get lots of dairy.
        some say the hair loss is due to meds. does anyone know which ones? i no longer take any DMDs (1 yr now) but i take about a dz RXs
        suggestions or answers anyone???
        thanks.
        take care and God bless you!
        "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Once I started on Copaxone my hair and nails started growing at a very fast rate. My hair about 1 inch a month. Nails always needed done. Don't know if it was the C or just a conincidence.

The downside was my hair became thinner around the front and sides.

Comment

Hmmm I am on Copaxone. I will be curious to hear what others say. I have been debating bangs because my forehead seems to be getting a bit longer - it couldn't be my hair trying to creep back

Comment

Working...
            X