Steroid Infusion (solumedrol sp.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steroid Infusion (solumedrol sp.)

My doctor told me to take something to keep my stomach from getting sick. Zantac or Pepcid....any suggestions?
    Janis

eather one is good. keep us posted, God Bless Nona Judy

Comment

I took Aciphex. Good luck with the solumedrol. It got me up and moving but it made me really crazy for a few days. Definitely take some antacids though.
      Lynna'

Comment

take anything you can find... lol... I did the whole "Oh I will be fine this is nothing" and therefore took nothing, yeah big mistake!!!

Good luck to you!!!

Comment

I just started an infusion yesterday (had my 2nd today), I also made the mistake of not taking anything - bad idea!!! Don't go to your infusion on an empty stomach and take either Pepcid or Zantac an hour or two before and you will be fine (I had done this last time and had no issues).

Good luck!
          ~Heather

"Better Living Through Chemistry"

Comment

Infusion

Doc gave me protonics and I am taking tums for the gass.

I also have a regular script for prevacid.

Wobbler

Comment

NEVER go hungry before hand. Even if you eat graham crackers and some milk. I found my tummy will easily flip if empty.

The metal taste will follow me for hours after, so I make sure I have a meal before hand. This way I haven't completely ruined my dinner.

Pepcid, Zantac, prilosec, nexium, protonix, or even plain old tums really does help.

Sucking on lemon or root beer candy seems to help cut thru the bad taste while its infusing too. That's such a nasty taste! ick!

Comment

I am currently in the hospital on waiting on my day 3 infusion. The taste is awful, but I haven't had any other issues. So far they hadn't given me any ther meds, but they did give me a pepcid this afternoon.
                Melody
                Diagnosed 1/28/10

Comment

I don't remember taking any antacids at all when I did mine. I ate first, and sucked on mints the whole time to keep away the metal taste in the mouth. No other reactions except some sleeplessness. Why does everyone take the antacid -- does it give heartburn ?

Comment

Tums worked for me
                    Steve

Comment

antiacids

When I had my steroid infusions,I was never told to take
                      anything for the reflux feeling.I was only told to tell the
                      nurse if I developed any chest pain.

I told the nurse after the first infusion that I was having
                      chest pain,which was really the acid reflux feeling.On the
                      second infusion the Dr.lowered the dosage.

It is only now that by reading this thread that what I was
                      feeling was the reflux and not really bad chest pain.

Comment

When I first started with solumedrol, the doctor prescribed a prescription antacid. Now they just say to take something over the counter.

I have found that if I stick to a lo-carb diet while taking the steriods, I have no stomach issues. If I eat a lot of carbs and fat...the indigestion is awful.
                        ~Victorya~
                        ------------------------------------------
                        -Better living through chemistry

Comment

just had 3 days of the solu medrol IV, and 4 days a few weeks ago.

i have been on Ranitidine with that/the prednisone and feel ok, other than the routine *****iness (sorry DH!) ravenous appetite and trouble sleeping/staying asleep,

so i definitely suggest some sort of sleeping aide!

Comment

Taking the prednisone now after my IVSM.

Started using an over the counter sleep aid, because I can't calm at night and I hallucinate...ugh!

Hope you are getting some relief.

Wobbler

Comment

Working...
                            X