disposing of delivery styrofoam boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

disposing of delivery styrofoam boxes

I have taken weekly Avonex since October and it is delivered by UPS in a LARGE styrofoam box with ice packs. I have quite a stack of the boxes piling up in my garage now after 6 months of deliveries. Anyone out there have any ideas of what could be done with these or who might be able to use them? The delivery option is the only one for me under my insurance plan. I hate those boxes taking up space in my garage... soon I won't be able to park my car there!

I had the same problem when I did Rebif.

I had no use for them, and didn't want to be a hoarder, so into the garbage they went.

Comment

You might call your local homeless shelter, project response, or similar organizations. I know a soup kitchen can use them quite often!

Comment

When I got my rebif thru the mail, I always gave them to my father-n-law, he fishes alot, but you might could contact the local recycle center, or schools. I know my 7-year olds school was asking for sterifoam containers for art projects.

~Diagnosed July 2010~ ~Rebif July 2010-June 2011~Copaxone Aug.-Oct 2011~ No more shots for me!!~ I choose quality over quanity!!!

Comment

I get those for Copaxone, too. I hadn't considered children's crafts. Hmmm....

Comment

styrofoam boxes

The boxes are labled with a recycling #6. Many states recycle from #1 to #7. Call your local recycling center and ask them.

Comment

I asked our local thrift store that helps disabled folks (The ARC) and they are happy to take them.

Comment

summers coolers!

I give mine to friends with kids who use them at the local pool in the summer. They also make handy planters.

Comment

I use them for planters, my dad uses them for fishing, taking food to his neighbors and as individual drink coolers at BBQ's.

I also use them for knitting projects. The tops make good blocking boards for small projects when used singly. Several used together works for larger projects. Cut up, the box works well to block knit bags.

Comment

We also donate them to the local thrift store. I don't know if people buy them or not.

There were some other good posts/ideas on this thread for getting rid of them. Like you, I don't wanna just throw them away. But, I certainly don't need to keep them for myself.

~ Faith
                    ~ Faith
                    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

good post

I am new to this site and it is just refreshing to see I am not alone with various life changes with MS. Even as much as to how to properly discard the foam delivery coolers. You are not alone in this dilemma and I thank all of those for the great suggestions.

Comment

Wow! There are some great ideas here. I just started Copaxone in Nov and my styros are in my garage as well. I may keep a couple but now I know what to do with the rest as they come in. Thanks

Stay well!
                        "Irrespective of what happened yesterday or last year, and what may or may not happen tomorrow, the present moment is where you are-always!"
                        Richard Carlson, PH.D.

Comment

Everyone in my family has one in their trunk for transporting frozen stuff from the grocery store. I also use them for ice chests in the summer. Much cheaper than buying a cooler with money I don't have!

My mother is a science teacher and took two to school to use as ice buckets during labs. You could donate them to science departments at your local high school (they can probably use the ice packs, too).

And right now I am using two of them to prop up some seed flats so the seedlings are right under the lights.

Comment

UPS store takes mine

I also feel badly about just throwing them away. I found a local UPS store that is happy and thankful to take mine monthly. They have some customers who need to ship food cold (especially around holidays), and they are happy to use my clean and unneeded styrofoam boxes, as well as the cooling blocks. So happy to have found a way to have them reused!

Comment

Not dx yet, but my husband used to get Humira delivered for his RA the same way. At Halloween, I took all those big white styrofoam squares, stuck pencils in them, and stuck them into the ground, transforming our whole yard into a graveyard! It looked great! With Halloween being six months away, you could save up quite a few for this year's decorating!

Comment

Working...
                              X