Are animals fine-tuned to be helpers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are animals fine-tuned to be helpers?

The other night a group of friends got together at another's house. Long story, short - the car got stuck in the mud and I was the one to hold the flashlight while others shoveled and pushed, etc. Friend had a dog (golden retriever) who stayed by my side the whole time - pressing against my weak leg. I'm short, so the dog's head was at the right level to hold onto. Seriously, the dog would move when I did, step by step, and stop when I did!!! Amazing...

Then there's my cats! They take walks with me and stay right ahead of me, turning often to make sure I'm still there. They never walked with me before my walking got bad!

I'm beginning to think that these pets have a 6th sense and know when one is weak and need looking after!! Anyone else have stories to share?
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Seasha...

I'm certain they do sense when we need help.

My yellow lab/great pyrenees mix does the same with me. Supports my weaker (at the moment) side.
    She will also lick any fresh scrapes or cuts I get from working in the garden or around the house, then she looks up at me as if she is telling me everything will be better now.

Comment

I believe it.....

I believe it 100%, I have seen it with my own pets. In addition to MS, I had Stage II Breast Cancer (now in remission). I had 13 surgeries, chemo & radiation. When I came home after spending 8 days in the hospital after a bilateral mastectomy – my 12 year old Siberian Husky, Tundra, would not leave my bedside. He laid on the floor right next to me unless my husband was in the room with me. When my husband would come in, Tundra would go out and do his bizness, eat, drink etc. As soon as my DH would leave the bedroom, faithfully, every time, Tundra would come meandering back in and lay next to me. I think this is one of the most amazing, beautiful things I’ve seen. We were a pack and at that time I was the weak one and he was standing guard. Animals are AMAZING.

Comment

MY DOG MY FRIEND AMADEUS

Even before I was Dx with MS my bestest bud was always here for me. I get sick he laid with me I fell he licked me till I stopped crying I didnt want to get outta bed he lay his head on me and give me that AHHH but mom I gotta go p look And now that I know I am gonna need him I have no doubt he will be there for me He may be a lil guy He's a Yorkie But he is a full grown St Bernard at heart LOL All animals have a built in sense to protect humans...to bad some humans dont have the same heart for them

Comment

Scotch - my pound puppy

Scotch is a lab mix. Whenever i don't feel well and am laying on the couch or bed, she lays right with me with her head on my leg.
          She also lays real close to the grandkids when they are babies--she comes to get us, if they cry. She will pace until they quit crying!

Comment

My black lab, Woody, is always there for me. When I'm not doing well he is always right by my side. Truly my best friend.

Has anyone read the book "The Art of Racing in the Rain"? Great book about a dog. In the book the dog knows the mom is sick before she or her Dr.s know.

I totally believe animals have a sixth sense.
            Opiegirl, Dx 1991
            Have never used DMD's.

LDN 9/2011-9/2012 & just started again 6/14
            Estriol 9/12-present
            Still Hopeful.

Comment

When I was young and my mom had MS, we had a cat who would love to play tussle games with my dad and me, but was always the perfect gentleman with mom. He would lie down with her and stay with her in the bedroom.
              Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

I'm with the rest of the gang on this one: I think many animals can sense when somethings "off" in our biorhythms.
                Our mastiff is a momma's boy anyway- he prefers me to my DH - but when I'm feeling truly lousy, he makes a point of coming to check on me often. Unfortunately, this frequently translates as him coming and laying on top of me. 120 lbs of dog on your chest really doesn't help all that much. It's the thought that counts, right?
                Our birds, on the other hand, don't have any compassion. The macaw tells me I'm a good or pretty girl, but only when she wants something :P Maybe it's a mammalian thing?

Comment

What a fantastic thread!!! I loved reading all these stories. I think some animals do sense something. One of my own dogs seem oblivious.......haha. He runs around my feet and I have to work hard not to trip. My other dog is more sensitive and watches where she is in relation to my feet.

My horse, however is a different story.I have had him for just over 19 years. I broke him myself. He seemed to understand when something had changed. (I was diagnosed 5 years ago) He is very careful around me now. I have to hold on to his mane when we walk around the stables........very bad footing+very bad balance. He is slow and constantly has one eye on me. Once I am on him, any change in balance and he comes to an immediate stop. It's very sweet and it just blows my mind.

My friend has a very very hyper boxer. He jumps on everyone! He is ninety pounds of happy love! When I come over, he jumps and jumps all excited but he's just about 3 feet away from me. He NEVER touches me. My friend can't believe it. He jumps and knocks other people all over. When I sit down, he sits right at my feet waiting for some love.

Thanks to everyone who posted. I love this thread!

Comment

I love these stories!! Just goes to show there is some incredible bonding that happens between people and pets.

I had never even met the dog who wouldn't leave my side (from my original post), so I suppose there is something else that goes into play here.

I really want a dog now Unfortunately, my husband doesn't want one - period. So, I guess he'll have to be my "dog" for now. He is a good helper, tho, and never leaves my side
                    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I have two dogs and two horses. One of my dogs, Jazzy (pom), is very protective of me and likes to be by my side. If I am having a bad day, she knows, and she will sit so she is touching me. If I cry (not often but it happens) she is beside herself with wanting to do something for me (begins pacing and tagging me) but she will settle in next to me shortly after with a paw touching my leg for however long I need.

on an off note...We are renovating a farm house and our first year in it we couldn't use the furnace because of a recall but we had a buck stove. I was home alone with Jazzy and had placed hot embers in a metal pail so I could start a new fire. I left the room for a few minutes and she began an urgent barking that was different from any bark I ever heard from her...I raced back into the room and she was standing about 2 feet from the metal bucket in which the embers inside had ignited. It caused no problems but because of her quick response I was able to get it outside before something happened.

Animals love their people and have a remarkable capacity to understand. They often would do anything to make you happy. it is shown that stroking a dog or cat can lower blood pressure. amazing isn't it?
                      Kim
                      Hope for the best, prepare for the worst and that way you have all your bases covered.

Comment

For those of us who truly love animals there is no question. They certainly know what we are feeling...and they respond.

I can't imagine what life would be like without them!

Sherlock...chocolate lab
                        Watson...GSD
                        Lexi...Standard Poodle
                        Shortie...Pembroke Welsh Corgi
                        Rowdy..QH
                        Duncan..mini donkey

And the cows and cats!
                        Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Seasha,

I thought of something else. My dog Woody is a pound puppy. It seems pound pups know you've saved their life so they are even more loyal and "intune".

I hope you get one, they truly become part of the family.
                          Opiegirl, Dx 1991
                          Have never used DMD's.

LDN 9/2011-9/2012 & just started again 6/14
                          Estriol 9/12-present
                          Still Hopeful.

Comment

Working...
                          X