whether or not to worry about the heat,,,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whether or not to worry about the heat,,,

I posted this yesterday in one of the other threads on heat intolerance, but decided it was the wrong place to ask my question... I was just diagnosed last October, with very few symptoms (optic neuritis mainly and some generalized fatigue). Luckily I live in a very cool, ideal climate for this disease -- doesn't get over 75 except for a very few days each summer of 80-85. However, in order to see my daughters and grandsons, I will be traveling to Arizona IN JUNE this year (where the temp could be above 100). Talk about going from the cooler to the oven! If I didn't want to see them so badly, I wouldn't go, but I haven't seen them for awhile, so I'm gonna bite the bullet and go.

But I am somewhat concerned about whether the heat will affect me adversely or maybe not, given my real lack of symptoms. Could it possibly be the start of symptoms that I have not had up to this point if I'm in the heat? My ophthalmologist suggested that I note whether I have Uthoff's when I am in the heat, so I will be on the lookout. Luckily, my daughter has a/c, but I'm worried about going out and about with the kiddos. So any insights would be helpful.

Thanks, Andi

A cooling vest may be what you will need. Many of them are quite bulky and stylistically ugly, but there are much thinner ones you can wear under your outer clothes. They are Phase Change, gel cell, that cool by slow evaporation.

I always wear an old undershirt under the vest to reduce abrasion from the vest. You must dry the vest, roll in a towel loosely, before putting clothes over it or your outer clothes will get damp. But, in Arizona that may not be much of a problem since it can be so dry there.

A soft cotton hat that you keep wet is very effective for keeping your head cool. You may be one of the lucky ones that the heat is not too bad for.

Go on the trip, have a great time. Next year have them come to see you.
    Bill
    Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

While heat sensitivity is common, it is not experiences by everyone with MS. Do you notice any increase in symptoms when you take a hot shower or bath?

I'd hate to have you go and then find out the heat is a problem. Arizona in June sounds wicked hot! The high humidity where I live is hard to take, perhaps that drier heat is easier to take. I just don't know!

Comment

For your Optic Neuritis change your diet to be anti-inflammatory, it has greatly help my ON in addition to helping my MS.
        I prefer the IF system used by NutritionData.com (your goal needs to be 200+)

I’m sure you kiddos will enjoy your trip to see them, and IF a change is needed on when and what you do when you go out that does not really matter.

enjoy the trip!
        Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Wishing you much, much joy in your visit. Whatever happens, I'm sure the bonding time will be worth it.

I have heat issues, it's one of my very worst problems but the SX always go away once I cool down. Perhaps find thing to do where it's cool. For instance, an aquarium rather than the zoo. Movies etc. Have the air on in the car so that's it's cool before you get in.

When I do get overly warm I put my hands, especially my wrists under cool running water. That helps a lot.
          What if trials of this life
          Are Your mercies in disguise?
          "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

Have fun on your trip and listen to your body.

Wear cotton, cotton, cotton.
            Your clothes will breathe and help you a lot.
            Polyester, spandex and other blends don't breathe which holds in the heat.

Sunscreen is important. Apply is often (it's cooling, too).
            In the summer, I plan on not having quite as much energy and feeling some symptoms slightly more (tingling and fatigue).

I also plan on sitting and resting or napping during the hottest part of the afternoon. I can't even think about cooking dinner in the kitchen then.

Enjoy and have fun!

Comment

Since I live in Florida, I'm very aware of my heat intolerance. Good thing about Arizona, like Florida, everyplace is air conditioned. So if you're going out, you go from air conditioned house, to air conditioned car, to air conditioned store or restaurant.

But as far as going out of doors with the kids, the good news is, if you have heat symptoms, they are easily recovered from....once you get cool (at least mine are.)

I love to go to yard sales with my husband, and a lot of the times I stay in the car during the summer. But sometimes I just want to go look at something, and standing out in the heat, I feel my heat symptoms acting up, and now I know how much I can stand...so once I've hit my limit, I head for the car and blast the AC in my face. Once I cool down, I feel normal again.

Hopefully if you do suffer any heat intolerance (which you may not) it'll just be a matter of cooling down to get relief.

Comment

i find that one of the best things for me to cool down is to run cold water over the inside of my wrists. It helps tremendously. I don't cool down right away if I get too hot. I stay too hot for a long time. For me it also saps my energy. But the wrist thing helps a lot!

I think I would just make sure to stay in the A/c as much as possible. If your daughter happens to have a pool that will be a great way to spend time with the kids. You can keep yourself cool and play with them at the same time.

I wish you all the best!!

Comment

thanks to all who replied...

The things that were suggested make lots of sense and I will try most of them. My daughter who lives in Phx said that they go from A/C to A/C and don't really spend much time outdoors except in the evenings (when it is still 85-90!). They do have a pool, which is usually used in the evening.

I haven't seen either of my girls (or their little boys) for 2 years, when I went from WA to AZ and then on to VA to see the youngest daughter. This time, the youngest one has graduated from nursing school and is going home to San Diego for a few weeks to see her dad's family and then to Arizona to spend 5 days with her older sister. I'll be visiting there to see all my (not so) little grandsons and will keep my fingers crossed that I won't be brought down by the heat.

Thanks again, you all are awesome!
                  Andi

Comment

Working...
                  X