Traveling to HOT places and MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traveling to HOT places and MS

I have yet to be formally diagnosesd with MS, but showing all the symptoms and having my first real episode (extreme fatigue, tingling in the head, tingling/numbness in the legs, etc.)

Of course... this is happening at the WORST time. I am supposed to be graduating from grad school next week and in celebration, my fiance and I had planned a trip to Italy.

The trip isn't until May so assuming that I go into "remission" from this bout... is it okay to be in a hot environment? How will the heat affect me if I am in recovery?

I really do NOT want to cancel this trip!

We had also planned a safari for our honeymoon in Tanzania... can I no longer travel to hot destinations without experiencing fatigue and an exacerbation of my symptoms?

I would get checked out by a Neurologist

Hi, welcome to MS world. You found the best MS support group on the internet. Like the site says we are people with MS helping others with MS.
    I definitely would start the whole process of getting checked out by a Neurologist. Have your general practioner recommend you a Neurologist. It is quite a process getting fully checked out and you need to get it done before your big trip. I am very heat sensitive and there is a lot of things you can use on your trip to keep yourself nice and cool. Enjoy your trip! Be safe and prepared. I hope you get to go to Rome, I love it there.

Comment

Not everyone with MS is heat intolerant, the estimated percentage I've read is 50%. What happens when you are active, or out in the sun?

Wondering if your neuro has offered any high dose steroid treatment to speed your recovery thru this flare?

I am very heat intolerant, however, I've vacationed in the Bahamas, Aruba, California, Florida. I have alot of gear to help me. I cannot be in the direct sun for any amount of time. I use SPF rated hats, umbrellas, cooling vest, drink lots of icy drinks.

Comment

How can you have fun in the sun?

Originally posted by Justsayyes View Post
        Not everyone with MS is heat intolerant, the estimated percentage I've read is 50%. What happens when you are active, or out in the sun?

Wondering if your neuro has offered any high dose steroid treatment to speed your recovery thru this flare?

I am very heat intolerant, however, I've vacationed in the Bahamas, Aruba, California, Florida. I have alot of gear to help me. I cannot be in the direct sun for any amount of time. I use SPF rated hats, umbrellas, cooling vest, drink lots of icy drinks.
        Does that take the fun out of your vacation though? How can you go to the Caribbean without being exposed to the sun?

I have a doctor's appointment next week and am counting down the days until they give me some drug treatments. I am currently not taking any meds

Comment

While I have to stay protected from the sun, I still have fun. I can be at the beach or pool with shade. I toured Aruba in a jeep (I wasn't driving though!) Snorkeling is still on my list of things to do. Boating is still OK because of the breezes, as long as shade is available.

I think you need to test the waters so to speak, and see how heat intolerant you are. Then you can rethink your plans if you need to.

Comment

Don't Stop Living

Slow down turbo!
            Take one thing at a time, if we look at the big picture it's too overwhelming and we can easily get stuck in depression, fear, anxiety etc.
            Celebrate your hard work and your graduation; try not to think about the next day, next week or next month. Enjoy the moment that you worked so hard for.
            This disease is unpredictable in every way.
            Go to Italy and Tanzania DO NOT STOP LIVING….heat intolerance is a pain; I have it and live in TX. You may get hot and feel poorly at one point or another but that does not mean you will have a full on exacerbation. That means it’s time to slip into a museum or shop with A/C, preferably a gelateria (I could eat gelato all day). Plan each day with “rest time” built in and go back to your hotel and nap or just relax. I use cool bandanas and they are very helpful. They are inexpensive too - just Google cool bandanas. Get a large brimmed sun hat…..just make sure that you have on sleeves or at least a light jacket to put on if you want to get into the Vatican! They won’t let you in with bare arms….
            DON’T STOP LIVING
            You can do it….

Comment

You may find that the heat is not real bad for you. I avoid heat as much as possible, still go to some fairly hot places. The breezes make it possible. Since diagnosis I have been to Roatan Honduras twice, Belize off shore, Florida a bunch, Palau, Truk Lagoon and Fiji. In the next couple of years I plan the Philippines, Roatan again and the Turks and Caicos. I do not walk around in the sunny day time.
              Bill
              Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Working...
              X