Optic Neuritis and Uhthoff's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optic Neuritis and Uhthoff's

Has anyone experienced Uhthoff's syndrome with Optic neuritis? I have had optic neuritis before but never with Uhthoff's... this last episode started in January and its April and still bothering me. I had 5 days of IV steroids (Decadron) but I haven't seen any improvement. The steroids were about 3 weeks ago. I don't know what to do.

Everytime I exercise I start to see darkness when I get overheated...I exercise a few times a week and I know when to turn it down when the darkness starts. The only thing is it is getting annoying to this point.

Any responses will be so appreciated !! Thanks again.
    Emily
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dx'd Friday the Thirteenth!!...
    talk about bad luck!!!

Hi Emily,

After my first bout of ON 5 years ago I noticed that my vision would get blurry in that eye if I was warm. With each successive bout I have noticed that when my body warms up the eye and every other symptom has reacted. Now it is not just blurry vision, but holes in my visual field. I just live with it at this point and accept it for what it is, knowing that when I cool down it will go away.

Comment

Me too i was diagnosed on friday the 13th too. Friday, August 13, 2004 for me. i went to a walk in clinic because of stroke like symptoms that had started on thursday, august 12. i waited until friday to go see what it was all about...some times i think i should have waited unti saturday aug14? might not endeded up with a chronic illness on saturday the 14th theyu might have been able to fix it with a shot of pencillen? if i had just waited until the 14th?

i had a scary episode of uthoffs symptom. it was the year i was diagnosed. my ms was unstable that year. i walked to a A&W to get a hamburger--it was a mile away...as i walked i had more and more difficulty in seeing the side walk. and one scary part was over a bridge--jeez if i couldn't see the side walk i might walk right off the bridge. my vision was decreasing as i walked. so i turned around and walked home--then i wouldn't leave my apartmnent for about a month. if i could not gaurenttee that i would have vision when i left my apartment, i did not want to leave my apartment...i got over the fear & now i do leave my appartment & it hasn't happened again--i'm just more sensative to ms symptoms that build and give me time to get out of the situation that i am in.

have you though of a cooling vest or a cooler excersize like swimming? if you get that uthoffs. it only happened that 1x for me. maybe my vision decreases but not being able to see something i needed to only has happened 1x.

i have a/c in my car & apartment.
      xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Yes, and unfortunately although it has improved, it is still a problem when I get hot, sometimes even when I eat spicy food. Anything that increases my core temperature even a little. Being out in the direct sun is impossible for me.

Hope yours is temporary. I can say that the fastest way to regain my vision is to drink a very icy cold drink like a slushy. Cold packs to my head and back of neck work well too.

Comment

Working...
        X