Eye appointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eye appointment

I had an appointment today to get my eyes checked and new glasses. I've had some problems with my vision in recent months, particularly in my right eye, but I was shocked when I looked at the eye chart and couldn't read anything but the top line with my right eye (without my glasses.)

Then, when the optometrist started trying to determine what my prescription was for distance vision, none of the lenses he tried for my right eye improved my vision much at all! I never could clearly see the chart. He said my prescription has changed a lot since my last pair of glasses (which was just last year).

He checked my eyes and noted that I do have cataracts, but I've had them since I was born. They're just little flecks in my lens, and I've always been told that they wouldn't ever progress or cause problems. I asked if maybe they were responsible for the decline in my vision, and he said that it's possible. He didn't really offer any other explanation or anything as to why my vision has gotten so bad lately or why I'm seeing double.

So, I am getting a new pair of glasses, but they're not really going to correct my distance vision much in my right eye. Do you think I should get a second opinion as to what is going on with my vision, particularly since this blurriness and double vision is relatively new? (I also forgot to mention to him about the dinner-plate sized dark spot I see when I open my eyes in a darkened room. I've had this for six years, but it's recently split off into two spots and taken on a reddish-hue.)

Do I need an neuro-ophthalmologist or would a regular ophthalmologist do? Or do you think I should just go with what this optometrist said?
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

You might want to try a neuro-ophthomologist since they do everything a regular ophthamologist does and then adds the neuro part. Your right eye really sounds like it has more than just a lens problem and those reddish ovals just plain sound wierd.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

Originally posted by Shashi View Post
      He checked my eyes and noted that I do have cataracts, but I've had them since I was born. They're just little flecks in my lens, and I've always been told that they wouldn't ever progress or cause problems.

Do I need an neuro-ophthalmologist or would a regular ophthalmologist do?
      Shashi,

I also have congenital cataracts and my vision sucks big goose eggs Congenital cataracts are usually stable. However, over time and as we age they can become active and grow, making cataract surgery a possibility.

In my case I see no point in seeing a Neuro-Opthamologist, my vision problems are not Neurological. I have always seen Opthamologists.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

The reason I think my problem might not be cataracts is because back in October, when I was having a flare up of neurological symptoms, I was having the same problem with my right eye. After those symptoms cleared up, so did the blurriness. I've recently had another round of neurological symptoms flaring up, and again, the blurriness has returned or at least gotten much worse. I'm not sure the cataracts would get worse and then improve a few weeks/months later. I think I'll go ahead and at least see an ophthalmologist for a second opinion, just to be on the safe side. I can live without a lot of things, but not without my vision! (I'm a college instructor. I have to be able to read, and it's getting really difficult to do so!)

Snoopy, I once had an ophthalmologist tell me my cataract was "beautiful!" She said it looked like a Christmas star. Trust me to have a "beautiful" cataract! LOL!!
        Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
        Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
        Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Shashi - In my opinion, I would see a neuro-opthal. I know I had a really off eye visit, couldn't read a darn thing with my left eye, couldn't read much of anything with my glasses - the next visit, my eyes were responding normal again.
          Having such an extreme change in a short time sounds suspicious.

Comment

Originally posted by Shashi View Post
            Snoopy, I once had an ophthalmologist tell me my cataract was "beautiful!" She said it looked like a Christmas star. Trust me to have a "beautiful" cataract! LOL!!
            Yes, I have heard the same thing from Opthamologists. Congenital Cataracts are very vivid in color unlike other types of Cataracts. My cataracts have been an interest and fasination for many of my doctors through the years...starting at a young age.

Shashi, you need to do what you think is best for yourself. If you think a neuro-opthamologist is best then that is the direction you should take.

I am very happy with the regular Opthamologist I have been seeing for quite a few years now. He is very familiar with MS and vision problems related to this disease...I have none of those related problems. He also wrote a book many years ago about "Eyes."
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by lindajot View Post
              Shashi - In my opinion, I would see a neuro-opthal. I know I had a really off eye visit, couldn't read a darn thing with my left eye, couldn't read much of anything with my glasses - the next visit, my eyes were responding normal again.
              Having such an extreme change in a short time sounds suspicious.
              I agree about seeing a neuro-opth. One day the vision in my left eye was just blurry. I thought maybe prescription changed. Saw my opthamologist and nothing she did could get my vision clear. After 2 days, she gave up and sent me to a neuro-opth.

10 minutes into the appointment with the neuro-opth, optic neuritis.

Comment

Your eyes

Shashi,

As some one else said, they are your eyes so do what you think is best.

But, you asked for our opinion.

I would go with the neuro ophthalmologist. I went to a neuro ophthalmologist and he did a ok exam. But, after I went to my primary doc for something else he sent me to the other neuro- ophthalmologist that is in town.

I have the same thing as you, but I can read the third line of the chart. But, I also have what looks like a lace doily over my eye.

The second neuro-ophthalmologist did a much better exam. My lace doilly is probably from the RadioKerotonomy I had done years ago so he gave suggestions of a contact to correct it.

So, my opinion is to ask your primary doctor what neuro-ophthalmologist is a good one and go to that one. I would just call and ask which one they recommend.

Good luck, nothing to fool around with on the eyes.

Mary
                God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Working...
                X