Please don't beat me up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please don't beat me up...

This is a follow up to my last post "All the Sudden" I had said Dad had suddenly gotten very hot and vomited with no warning. He has done this 3x this week. He says he has no warning what so ever. He doesn't even feel the slightest bit sick or nauseated. He will be fine and in a split second he is projectile vomiting. He said he could be sitting at the dinner table and he would puke all over it. He just can't control it. As soon as it is over he is fine & dandy.

On the way to the Dr today he made me promise not to mention it. He said he is so sick of test. He said lets wait & see if it continues. I half way understand where he is coming from. He is of sound mind now & it is his body. I guess it is no different then if he decided to refuse treatment & let nature take its course. It's his decision.

He checked out fine at the Dr, minus not telling him about this strange vomiting. He goes back in a month & if the vomiting continues I am going to insist we tell the Dr. Today I had to wash clothes that had puke all down the front of them. I am very weak stomached & it just about killed me. I am getting very tired. I just don't think this is fair to me. Dad has lived with me for 6 years & it's taking its toll. I think that when he decides to neglect his health he should consider me & the burden it puts on me. I want to go back to being his daughter instead of his caregiver or nurse. I know, I'm terrible. I also have 3 kids & a husband ya know?

I have done some research & did find that sometimes new lesions on the part of the brain that controls vomiting can cause a lot of vomiting in MS pts. It always describes nausea & vomiting tho. Dad never has nausea or a sick to his stomach feeling at all. Anyway, I am playing it day by day. I guess I mainly wanted to unload.

That just sucks on so many levels, 2bh. I hope that his vomiting episodes cease soon, although I have a feeling that they are related to his MS and that he may need some medical intervention. . Has this ever happened to him in the past?

You really are between a rock and a hard place....
    “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
    Diagnosed 1979

Comment

He told me it has happened in the past. He had it happen several times a few years ago and then it stopped. I think he kept a lot from me when he lived alone. He still would if he could get by with it. Kind of hard when he lives with me. Especially when I have to clean his mess up.

Comment

It sounds like you could use some household help. Trying to be a caregiver along with being a mom and wife can be draining. You may have to insist that your dad tell his doctor about all his symptoms, or do it yourself, since you are dealing with them.
        Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

One thing my doc said once: You can't blame everything on the MS. Yes, it can cause all kinds of havoc, but what you're describing makes me think it's a mechanical issue, erspecially when you note that it is not preceded by nausea. Like he's developed a stricture in his esophagus or the opening of his stomach.

If it was a simple surgical fix, wouldn't it improve his quality of life?

Comment

Oh I know everything cant be blamed on MS. Like I said he did this several times a few years ago & then it stopped. Now it is starting again. Don't you think if it were one of those things it would have gotten much worse & stayed consistent? And esophageal strictures are usually accompanied with heartburn. He never has heartburn.

Comment

do you chat with Him about getting some part time help with his care? you have a family to take care of also and dont you deserve some help now and then?
              He's good and you're good, He probably wants you to take a break sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by 2badhips View Post
                Oh I know everything cant be blamed on MS. Like I said he did this several times a few years ago & then it stopped. Now it is starting again. Don't you think if it were one of those things it would have gotten much worse & stayed consistent? And esophageal strictures are usually accompanied with heartburn. He never has heartburn.
                Not necessarily. As you know, MS symptoms can fluctuate with variances in body temperature (fever from infections can affect body temp), presence of disease activity during relapse(s), and even periods of stress.

I never had pain with an infected tooth root but I still had to have a root canal. Maybe he has a high tolerance for pain, or processes pain differently because of MS nerve involvement. I should think a GI work up would be a good investment of his time.

Comment

There is help out there

2bh,

I have a friend in a similar situation (her mom has cancer and is refusing treatment). She was able to get Medicare and the state to provide her with "respite care" and hospice. I know hospice may not be appropriate at this point, but other services are.

Respite care provides a few hours a week or sometimes every day for the caregiver to have a break, whether it is to go to work or get your hair done or do something fun with the family. Also, home health to help with bathing, laundry, or even housework might be available. I had a hard time convincing my friend to ask for help. however, it really made a difference! Please check into whatever services you might qualify for. You and your Dad will be grateful for the help.

Comment

Working...
                  X