Exhausted until you lie down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhausted until you lie down?

Recently I've been having issues with extreme fatigue but when I lie down to take the nap that I feel I so desperately need I wake right up. This is an issue for me because when I get the fatigue I can't do anything, I shake, my eyes water, and I can't stop yawning (which causes my hands to shake violently) So basically I'm useless until I lay down, but I can't get anything done when I'm laying down. Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar to this, thanks.

~Elly
    I choose to live and to grow, take and give and to move, learn and love and to cry, kill and die and to be paranoid and to lie, hate and fear and to do what it takes to move through.

I have this same problem. I'm laying down right now, absolutley wiped out, sleep avoids me. I think there is a differnt between exhaustion and tired.

I have tried relaxing music with no luck. I would love to just fall asleep and wake up rested.

When it gets warmer out I will really knock out in the afternoon. Most of the year that wiped out feeling hits me at 2. In summer it is not uncommon for me to sleep for 3-4 hours in the afternoon and still go to bed between 8 and 9.

Comment

So sorry to hear you are exhausted . I wish I had better news for you but alot of people with MS have this problem including me. I talked to my neuro about it and he started me on provigil. It seems to help but does not completely wipe out all my fatigue issues. Good Luck I hope things go better soon

Comment

body and mind

I hate when that happens. My body is ready to collapse (and does) and my mind is WIDE AWAKE. It makes it impossible to sleep.

I've been an insomniac for years because of it.

I usually try to read or something since my dr doesn't believe in meds for the exhaustion. He told me to exercise more. And that of course leaves me more exhausted. Oddly enough he gave me Ambien to help me sleep at night and that helps then but does nothing for the collapse partway through the day.

Comment

Maybe try this: close your eyes and breathe deeply, concentrating on the breathing in and out. It's a meditation technique I have found useful.
          Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

Few suggestions

I too have issues like this. I can't wait to lay down, welcoming a soft bed and warm covers. But I often get wide eyed. I don't have heavy things on my mind, so I am always confused what causes it. I also am careful to avoid caffeine after 2 pm.

A friend of mine recommended a CD that you listen to when you lay down. She lent me the CD. It is a guided imagery meditation CD...soft music and a voice that walks you into a sleep pattern. Ahh, it is nice.

I do admit I was reluctant and thought it wasn't for me. But hubby encouraged it, so I gave it a try. The thing is this, you need to listen to it every night for several weeks and it actually programs you to go to sleep.

I love it now! I have several different ones and now my DH is used to them too. I recommend trying Belleruth Naparstek. She has a beautiful voice and produced a CD for people with MS. I frequent a website by Healthjourneys.

Other recommendation: my pcp had me purchase an OTC remedy in the vitamin section, Meletonin. I sometimes take 3 mg tablet and it is lights out within 30 minutes. I rarely take them because I want my body to learn sleep, not take a pill for it.

I occasionally have sleep issues no matter what I do, but these two things have greatly improved my odds of getting some "Z"s.

Good luck.

Comment

I hate that feeling and it lives with me most of the time. I try to lie down or sit or do whatever several times a day. If I rest a bit, whether I go to sleep or not, I can go a bit more the the cycle starts over. Once late afternoon hits though I don't do a lot of anything. The lack of energy is the worst SX for me, I think, at least mentally. I suspect I was a bit hyper in my previous life and it's hard to adjust.
              What if trials of this life
              Are Your mercies in disguise?
              "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys, I used to be very hyper as well so I'm not really used to this whole fatigue thing. I had insomnia before I was diagnosed so I wonder if that isn't playing a hand in all this.

~Elly
                I choose to live and to grow, take and give and to move, learn and love and to cry, kill and die and to be paranoid and to lie, hate and fear and to do what it takes to move through.

Comment

Working...
                X