Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mamabug

Great effort!

I like the way you record your total steps.

Can I ask what type of pedometer you have? I would like to get one, but don't have any idea about which one to purchase.

Thanks.

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Pedometers

KoKo --

I've found that it can make a huge difference what type of pedometer you buy, in terms of features, and accuracy.

When I purchased my first pedometer, probably more than 5 years ago, I bbought one for about $6 in the sporting good section of Walmart. It was so-o-o not accurate. It had sort of a back and forth ticker method of counting steps or something.

I read, on sparkpeople.com, a recommendation from someone that we check out the pharmacy section of Walmart, instead. By the blood-pressure monitors.

Since then, I've had an Omron HJ112. It looks a lot more professional and electronic.

I think that Omron makes a number of different models, and I haven't compared features. The HJ112 allows you to input your distance, stride and weight. It calculates your steps, your aerobic steps (defined by walking at least 10 minutes at a time), calories burned and miles.

Their other models might be fine, too, but, I'm sold on Omron.

The jewelry department at Walmart (where they sell watches) will replace the batteries, when needed. However, I've found that those wear out fairly quickly. My husband uses computer batteries to replace mine, and they last a long time.

~ Faith
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

KoKo --

Here's a picture and description:
        http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...N40G9HHKMNY7X8

Mine cost about $20.00. It can either be carried in your pants pocket, or clipped to your jeans. (Mine came with a carrier/clip, and a safety leash so it won't fall off and get lost. Some pedometers have to be clipped. I like the convenience of carrying mine in my pocket.)

~ Faith
        ~ Faith
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

koko,
          my new aide is helping me do things impossible without someones help. she starts a task, and i can finish it!!! plus, i`m still being stubborn and trying to accomplish things from my wc (even though i know i will require help)! yea, it`s a good thing though!!!

dave
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Mamabug

Mamabug

Thanks for the info and picture!

Now I have a good idea about what to purchase.

Take care,
            KoKo
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Dave

Dave

my new aide is helping me do things impossible without someones help. she starts a task, and i can finish it!!! plus, i`m still being stubborn and trying to accomplish things from my wc (even though i know i will require help)! yea, it`s a good thing though!!!
              Ok, thanks for the explanation.

Glad to hear that it's a good thing!

Take care,
              KoKo

Comment

YW, KoKo.

I wear my pedometer ALL the time. It's the first thing I put in my pocket in the morning, and the last thing that I take out at night.

Just knowing that I'm carrying it will often motivate me to park the car a little further away, or walk a lap or more around the aisles in Walmart, or whatever. For me, it really is a motivator.

I know that I should walk even more, but, I guess it's too easy to use my MS fatigue/stamina issues as an excuse.

~ Faith
                ~ Faith
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Mamabug

Mamabug

I wear my pedometer ALL the time. It's the first thing I put in my pocket in the morning, and the last thing that I take out at night.

Just knowing that I'm carrying it will often motivate me to park the car a little further away, or walk a lap or more around the aisles in Walmart, or whatever. For me, it really is a motivator.
                  Hmmm......Yea, that makes good sense - wearing the pedometer at all times would be a good motivator to walk whenever possible .

Take care,
                  KoKo

Comment

Yup. Or, I'll intentionally "pace" while waiting for something or someone, etc.

BTW, it only begins to record steps after you've walked 10 steps.

Also, one of the features that I neglected to mention is that it has a 7-day memory.

~ Faith
                    ~ Faith
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                    X