The Big "B"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Big "B"

Yes, I'm actually contemplating filing for bankruptcy. Definitely sucks being in this position, but I wondered if any of you know of resources to help? Need either a pro bono attorney or to file pro se...

Does the NMSS help at all with referrals?

Tx,
    mtngl

Believe your own truth. Dx 2004. Currently Tecfidera and Ampyra.

I'm so sorry to hear that I can sympathize with you but I don't know any attorneys.. I'm struggling too. Got so many collections and a hair away from foreclosure and certian I will be unemployed in another few months due to MS. Just gotta sell my house and use the profit to pay crap off.

I hope all goes as well as possible for your already crappy situation.

Comment

I"m sorry you're going through this. I have a friend who is and it was $1800 up front for the attorney. If they had $1800 they might not need to file.

Hope someone has some info for you.
      What if trials of this life
      Are Your mercies in disguise?
      "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

Hi mtngl:
        A couple of studies from the last decade showed that more than half of people who filed for personal bankruptcy did so because of overwhelming medical bills.

Some web searching will turn up some resources for you to investigate. Check the FTC's information about bankruptcy (http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...dit/cre41.shtm) and the site of the US Trustee Program (http://www.justice.gov/ust/) for information about filing for bankruptcy. Search for your local Legal Aid Society. Google "pro se bankruptcy Pennsylvania" to turn up information about how to file in your state and attorneys who can help with pro bono and pro se filing. Bankruptcy law requires that you go through credit counseling before you file, so a credit counselor might be able to give you information about filing pro se. The resources are out there, so keep looking until you find something that works for you.

Comment

My husband and I filed a year and a half ago. It was a very hard decision but we had exhausted all other options.

We hired an attorney and she handled all of the details for us. We filed a Chapter 13 so we're paying a portion of our debt back through a monthly payment for 3 years. Some of the attorney fees were able to be financed through the plan.

Like I said, It was a very tough decision. If I were you, I would see a financial advisor first and maybe he/she can help you sort out your options.

I know from experience that having a financial mess on top of having ms is a nightmare.

Good luck!

Comment

I would really urge you to be realistic about a "Pro Se" approach. I have gone down this path for civil matters but I was a college educated professional with almost 20 years high level corporate experience. I would NOT consider a Chapter 13 "Pro Se", 7...maybe. Find an attorney who will work with you. Lawyers get a bad rap but there are really good ones who are really good people as well.

But if you are so inclined, this group was of great help to me - Legal_Self_Representation@yahoogroups.com

It is a difficult decision, especially when your already dealing with the stress of chronic illness. Take the approach that will accomplish your goals while minimizing the stress...Pro Se is not fitting that bill. Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
            X