OBSESSED!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OBSESSED!!!

I have been really good about my diagnosis of PPMS. I was so sure I had ALS I would have bet everything I had on it.

Either way, it is what it is as they say and I will deal with whatever I have to. I have young children and I love my life so all is good no matter what and I feel this way 99.9% of the time.

BUT, I still don't believe my diagnosis. I saw the lesion on my medulla, I saw the lesion on my brain, I saw my test results for positive o-bands of 4 or more so what is the problem?

The fasciculations in my weak hand are my problem. I can't stop freaking out over them. I cannot find anyone else who has them. I read of MS'ers who have a finger or thumb spasm but this is just suttle thumps in my hand. It looks like a little heartbeat between my thumb and first finger. Sometimes they happen on the outside of my weak hand between my wrist and pinky. Very suttle but I can see them and feel them. They are creepy.

The MS doctor did not seem to pay to much attention to what I was explaining and it did not occur when I was in her office. I found nowhere in MS literature this happens frequently in the hands.

I know lots of MS patients have twitches and flutters here and there but does ANYONE have anything like this on their hand?

Just a thump here or there. sometimes five or six at a time (like a heartbeat). I am still not convinced.

I know it makes sense not to care because I have no control but the need to know just for my sanity - this is making me crazy.

My friend who is affiliated with John Hopkin's is looking through articles for me and no one at NIH in Bethesda, MD has been able to help me find articles or studies of this either.

If you can help me, I may be able to sleep tonight. Does anyone have thin happen to them in the hand specifically?
    Think of something you would die for, and live for it.

Hi Spring Owl - I can't say that I have had this happen in my hands, but I do get fasciculations on and off through out my body. Mostly I just wanted to respond to say I can understand your frustration, and your second guessing the PPMS Dx.

I too at times am not convinced I have the right Dx of RRMS since my spinal tap was negative. However, I do have the right lesions and L'hermittes sign so I am resigned!

I hope you find what it is you are looking for in order to get some sleep

JSSL

Comment

I get the twitches that can be seen through my clothing too but can't say they're in my hands. I have one that hits routinely towards the top and rt. side of my left breast and one on my eyelid. My first thought...oh my gosh is this a heart attack symptom. Well, if it is I'd have been a goner over and over as the twitch is just a part of me, now. Can twitches happen anywhere on the body with MS? Just a thought for you and I'm sorry I don't have answers that will truly help. I just wanted you to know that I hope you're able to get it figured out so you can rest again.

I'm going on 5 1/2 yrs since I was officially DX'd and I still routinely have to convince my self that MS is a real part of my life. My neuro just kind of smiles a patient smile and reshows me my MRI.

BTW, I like your user name, Spring Owl.
      What if trials of this life
      Are Your mercies in disguise?
      "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

Muscle flutters

Spring Owl,

I have muscle twitches, they make me crazy sometimes.
        I have them all over my body, but I also have them localize for long periods of time. So, yes I have had them in the hand, usually in the spot between my thumb and first finger.

I think if you are really struggling with PPMS and still think it is ALS, have your Dr. run and muscle biopsy.

It is better to be able to live...fully not worried.
        Hugs,
        Lemon

Comment

You may sleep well tonight, my friend, I have them and have had them since very early in my diagnosis. Just sitting there and a finger or thumb will jump, jump again, jump again and so on and so forth. And, yes, if I look close enough, I can see the "heart beat" that makes the pop happen.

Comment

I Love You

HereIam - I Love You!

YellowLemon - Thank you too but I thought you were not diagnosed. Do you have a diagnosis?

I WILL SLEEP!!

Comment

I also get them in my right hand. Usually happens for a few hours after I wake up and starts to subside as the day goes on. It's been happening for years now.
              Rae Roy

Comment

Why the hell!

Why is there no medical literature that says hand fasciculations are ms related?

The more I learn from the medical world and what we have to put up with as patients the more pissed off I get.

A problem for me to takle another night. Tonight I sleep.

Thanks everyone. Love you all already!

Amy

Comment

I get them in my left hand. When I first began having muscle twitches/spasms, they were in my chest/upper abdomen and were pretty strong. Those stopped and moved to my left leg. Then they spread over my entire body. Recently they are in my hand, my face, and my chest again. I never know where they'll pop up from day to day.
                  Portia

Comment

Maybe in MS they don't call them "fasciculations." I've never heard my neuro use that term, but when I've mentioned the jumping digits he knows what I'm talking about. There are a lot of neuros (not mine) who do not like to hear their patients use their technical words when describing symptoms.

Comment

*raises hand and waves*

I get them too...in hands...feet...ankles...thighs

You are not alone SpringOwl

Dx'd with RRMS '95
                      ~life has ups and downs...I try to go in circles~
                      dx'd rrms in '97

Comment

Working...
                      X