Advice on work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on work

I am planning to ask my boss for a reduced work schedule due to MS related fatigue? Any advice here?

Thank you!!
    Dx - February 2011
    Copaxone and now Avonex
    Amantadine for fatigue

Stand strong, head high, and know your rights. My boss wasn't very nice but then she didn't understand any illness as she is one of those who never got ill. She did understand postive thinking and pride though. I guess, I'm trying to say to use positive body language.

Good luck, btw.
    What if trials of this life
    Are Your mercies in disguise?
    "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

A lot of people here have gotten good relief from fatigue with up to 200 mg every morning of alpha lipoic acid and up to 2,000 mg every morning of acetyl L-carnitine (I take 1,000 mg.). They're two anti-oxidant supplements which help your cells metabolize energy better. I've been taking them for over a year and a half now and that body-numbing fatigue is a thing of the past for the most part (unless I'm having a really severe flare and even then, the fatigue isn't nearly as bad as it could be.)

If you haven't already, give it a try. (If you're taking any medications for thyroid or diabetic conditions, be sure to talk to your doctors first, as these supplements can increase the effectiveness of these meds and may require them to be adjusted.)

Good luck and hugs,

Lisa
      Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
      Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
      Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Make sure your boss knows the difference between MS fatigue and just being tired or not getting to bed soon enough. I had a supervisor that never did get the difference and it was hell. My boss did, though, and I got the reduced work week. Explain that your efficiency and abilities will suffer unless the work time is cut but that they will have a superior worker the hours you do work.
        Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

I take acetyl-L-carnitine and get some good results from it. I haven't had to take a nap in the middle of the day for a while, now.
          "Nothing fixes a thing so intensely in the memory as the wish to forget it" - Michel de Montaigne
          Diagnosed May 2007, relapsing-remitting

Comment

Originally posted by Sunflower214 View Post
            I am planning to ask my boss for a reduced work schedule due to MS related fatigue? Any advice here? Thank you!!
            Be sure you have your doctor's letter with you to present to your boss at the time you make your request -- when you have momentum on your side. If you give it to him/her later, it will look like you weren't serious (or serious enough to be prepared) about your request when you made it. That won't look good for you.

Also, brush up on the Americans with Disabilities Act to see what you're legally entitled to ask for and what conditions might exempt an employer from having to grant requests for accommodations (e.g., the company is small enough that reducing your work schedule would cause them undue hardship). In other words, don't assume that you have rights you may not have and don't let yourself be bluffed into thinking you don't have rights you do have. Anything that catches you off-guard will put you in a position of weakness. And no one wins a negotiation from a weak position. It's to your advantage to be be as well-informed and well-prepared as possible before broaching the subject.

Comment

FMLA

If you have been there long enough and there are at least 50 employees you are covered under FMLA. It should be no problem to work a reduced schedule.

With that being said, some sites recommend NOT reducing your hours as it affects your future retirement or disability...it is something to consider.

Comment

RE: Work

Thank you for the responses. The meeting didn't go as well as I had hoped but we do have a go forward plan. I am going to try to stay positive!

Also, thanks for the suggestions for helping with the fatigue. My Neuro put me on nuvigil which made me feel crazy, so that one is out of the question.
                Dx - February 2011
                Copaxone and now Avonex
                Amantadine for fatigue

Comment

I'm sorry it didn't go quite as planned but so happy you were able to work something out. Hopefully, this will be just the thing to make it better all around.
                  What if trials of this life
                  Are Your mercies in disguise?
                  "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

oh dang, my advise, I wish someone had told me, Dont tell!
                    or if I do, See HR first!
                    its prob still good to seek your HR folks.

Comment

Working...
                    X