Am I "Officially" disabled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I "Officially" disabled?

I have had MS for 20+ years. I tried for SSI back in the 90's but was denied.
    I was wondering when it comes to filling out a state or federal form (medical assistance, taxes etc..) that ask if I am disabled, what legally can I answer? Is there a qualifying determination, and if so, who makes that determination?

Don't know a lot about this but I would think it would be your Dr., wouldn't it?

Comment

i don't think there is an "official" definition for disabled. each organization can have its own definition for disabled.
      i questioned this when this whole ms thing entered my life.
      at the time i was a returning adult student going back to get a 2nd degree.

i read on the ms message board of a woman who was considered "disabled" by the university and as such was allowed extra services provided by the university. she applied for ssdi and expected to be awarded quickly because she was already considered disabled by the university...but she was denied. her disabilty did not meet the more strenuous requirements of SS disability.

from that i began to understand that each organization has its own definition of disabled. a person might be university disabled, work disabled, housing disabled for grants & stuff, or ss disabled. generally if someone is ss disabled they qualify for disabled in all other programs. but the reverse is not true. a person can be disabled in other programs that do not meet ss standards.

ss requires being unable to do any gainful work....other organizations might have a disability definitions that if accommodations are needed it becomes "disabled". my mom works with a lady who cannot see well at night or in dark lighting, confirmed by an opthamologist. she cannot work at night or drive at night which is required in her job---she is a cna and has to drive from one building to the next during her shift ---she has to ride with someone else instead.

her employer gets to count her as fullfilling their disabled highering quota, its a county job, may get a tax break for highering "disabled" and accommodating for her "disability", but she obviously can hold down gainful employment so she would not qualify as ss disabled but she is considered "disabled" for employer tax purposes.

her vision may become bad enough that she will be ss disabled in the future.

.. i believe you have to ask what is the definition of disability for each organization that uses it. there isn't one definition of it.
      xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

I used a company named Allsup. They did all the paper. I had 2 phone interviews and that was it. Check them out on line at Allsup.com. They are great to work with. If your doctor is on board with you they will take the case. Mine too less then 2 months.

Comment

Also do you consider how disabled you are when your having an attack as well as when your feeling better for these things since your health is prone to change at the drop of a hat?

Comment

I personally denied being disabled for some unknow reason even though I hadn't been able to work for several years. I marked "no" on my applications for work even. Now, trying to read my applications might have told someone I had a problem as I messed them up a lot. LOL

I applied and was granted SSDI nearly immediately when I did apply (nearly 5 yrs after I quit work) but still didn't admit to being disabled until my tysabri nurse asked the question at my last infusion. I guess there are many ways to define it, both personally and professionally.
            What if trials of this life
            Are Your mercies in disguise?
            "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

Answer all question as if you are having to relive the worst day you had because of MS. Your doctor will give you a letter for tax purposes that states you are disabled. Call the MS Society to help with all the paper work you might need or they think you might need, they are great help.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredfireguy View Post
                Answer all question as if you are having to relive the worst day you had because of MS. Your doctor will give you a letter for tax purposes that states you are disabled. Call the MS Society to help with all the paper work you might need or they think you might need, they are great help.
                So what your saying is that your SSDI is based off your worst day during an attack? If your currently feeling better how do prove that in a week you could be a mess?

I'm having work related issues because I cant hide my MS when its bad and I cant really do much and I'm trying to figure out what to do. I'm feeling like I will get let go from where ever I am (kind of whats happening here) evertime I get bad.

Comment

Yes, think about how you are on your worst MS day. That is how the disease is for you, personally.

Any moment or day that you can do more are just a bonus.

Comment

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. My attorney said the very same thing. He said that the biggest msitake is to try and sound better than you really are. Don't let pride get in the way, for instance. If you cna't vacuum or clean like you used to and need help say so rather than saying you can still do it all when you can't.
                    What if trials of this life
                    Are Your mercies in disguise?
                    "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

I'm in Australia. No disability support pension if you can work more than 15 hours, 2 days basically, a week. I definitely qualify, but I don't want to stop working, or I think I would go mad.
                      I'm only working 3 days, and the job's not well-paid, so I'm probably being stupid. But I do love the job.
                      Our government is about to 'look at' eligibility for the DP. They will possibly drop the hours down to one day, so it looks like time to bite the bullet.
                      This disease really stinks.

Comment

Working...
                      X