Need Help with Fluorescent Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help with Fluorescent Lights

I have noticed in the classrooms at school I have been getting very foggy and start having vision problems. It is kind of like being "buzzed." (Atleast if I want to be drunk I don't have to drink anymore. Just go sit in fluorescent light.) When I step outside of the classroom I start to feel better almost immedeatly.

I found the thread from Dec. about fluorescent lights in stores effect alot of the people here. I wanted to revive the thread not only to hear others and let any other newbies to the site know about the lights, but also to find out if anyone has found a way to compensate for this? Cuase I need to be able to focuse better while in class.
    COURAGE IS BEING SCARED TO DEATH- BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY ~JOHN WAYNE~

Try This

I heard somewhere ultraviolet bulbs are an issue. Some stores uses them without covers. I have issues if there are ANY flickers i the lights. It is one of 2 reasons, the bulb needs replaced or the ballast is going. I get migraines. Ask for the bulbs to be changed or covered if you can.

Sometimes if i can sit with the light behind me i can stay in the room....used to joke i was going to wear a sombrero to work. I take topamax for my migraines. I've been wondering if this sensitivity is MS related. Others on here seem to have it.

Comment

Fluorescent lighting bothers a lot of people, including those with migraines and/or MS. It doesn't bother the majority of people, though, so the problem seems to be the way that certain people's brains process the signals from fluorescent lights.

One of the most common theories is that it's the flicker of the fluorescents that causes the problem, but it isn't that simple. The flicker of properly functioning fluorescent lights is already above the critical flicker fusion frequency of the human visual system, which means that the flicker is faster than the visual system can perceive. In theory, then, if the flicker can't be perceived, it can't be a problem. If there really is something different about the visual processing of these sensitive populations that otherwise imperceptible flicker is, in fact, being perceived, the phenomenon hasn't been well studied or well documented.

There are a couple of interventions that sometimes work to minimize the problems caused by fluorescent lights. One is to block the overhead exposure with a visor or hat brim. The other is to manipulate the wavelengths of light with tinted glasses. The latter is very subjective as to color and darkness -- certainly not an exact science -- and often doesn't have any effect at all. It can also be time-consuming to find the right tint, and even more so to find an optometrist or optician who has the time to invest in the color search. But when the right factors all come together, the right tint can be helpful for dealing with the visual effects and disorientation caused by fluorescent lights. But, until the problems are better understood, there isn't much that can be done for relief.

Comment

I read somewhere also about this....of course I can't remember where...

The light above my kitchen sink bothers me...when I first turn it on i have to close my eyes untilt he flickering stops. I haven't been diagnosed yet but do suffer from migraines.

Comment

This is from Science Daily and the book Autoimmune The Cause and The Cure by Nature had it first.

"Ultraviolet light damages skin by causing chemical bonds to form in the wrong places along the DNA molecules in our cells. Normally, other, even smaller molecules called photolyases heal the damage. Photolyases work in a fraction of a second. Photolyases need tryptophan in order to function. Tryptophan is an essential amino acid that humans absorb from their digested foods. If dietary protein is not being properly broken down by pancreatic enzymes, nutrients like tryptophan never become available and are subsequently lost as waste."

Additionally, the junk DNA and protein from the damaged cells will cause an autoimmune reaction since the DNase 1 enzyme is not present to remove the debris before your body's white blood cells have a chance to respond to it.

Comment

Im concerned about this too, I fight migraines and migraine like sxs. With the laws making the compact fluorescents law its very worrisome.

My optician said maybe different color coating on lenses would help, like photographers use to correct diff lights to white.

Im having enough trouble getting used to my new bifocals havent tried coatings yet.

Comment

Though I do get headaches, the fluorescent lights don't seem to trigger headaches. I just become light headed and foggy. Disoriented like I described in the initial post, the best way I can describe it is like being buzzed. The longer the class or time spent under the lights the worse it gets. I have fluorescent tube lights in my kitchen aswell but it doesn't seem to bother me. I contribute this to the fact that I don't spend any prolonged time in there. Even if I am cooking or doing dishes I still leave the room often enough or the task doesn't last long enough for the light to be bothersome. At school though I have classes from a hour and a half to three hour classes.

I will try the hat and or sunglasses to help difuse the light. Anyone else want to share their problems with this issue or anything that might help. Thank you everyone that has replied and those who have yet to.
              COURAGE IS BEING SCARED TO DEATH- BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY ~JOHN WAYNE~

Comment

Working...
              X