No announcement yet.

exercise and MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My exercise has been limited by spasticity for years. ROM issues made it very hard. Walking was out, so I used a recumbent bike, then the spasticity restricted me from the bike, and I only could use the hand cycle on the exercise equipment. Walking hasn't worked for me because my spasticity would literally stop me in my tracks after a very short distance my legs would stiffen up and not move.

Now that my spasticity is under control (ITB) I am going to the physical therapist and am able to move my legs again in a somewhat normal way. So hopefully I'll be able to use the recumbent bike again. As for walking I'll have to try it again, but I can't do it outside because of the heat...we do have a treadmill (PT says too soon to try that, so we'll see.)

I find there's a very fine balance I have to adhere to with exercise. Too much and I pay for it for a few days. Even the PT is making me sore, but we're working on muscles that have been shortened by spasticity, so that's to be expected. But I'm not worried about avoiding soreness...but avoiding fatigue caused by overdoing.

Comment

Heat and exercise

I am reading this all with great interest. I went to the Heuga Center in Colorado several years ago, which started me on an "exercise because I can" mentality. I do believe that is why I am still walking, albeit slower and with a cane, BUT I am walking. I was dx in 1983, and was never into being physically fit-until I couldn't do the things I was used to doing.
      Heat was always my enemy - from early in my life, when I began to have migraines at the age of five (generally heat caused). When I developed M.S., heat made it feel like I was having the life sucked out of me.
      Going to the Heuga Center (now the Can-Do program) really opened my eyes. And finding a Pilates studio changed my life. I think there are many ways to get your body moving, and with a physical therapist and your neurologist, you can find the "right" plan for you. And there are ways to do it that will mitigate the negative effects of heat. Water aerobics is a great way, as others have said.
      Others have said "they exercise because THEY CAN" - and I have made that my mantra too. I exercise because I CAN. We all can benefit from this discussion...sharing the tricks of the trade, both the negatives and the positives, have been so beneficial to me. I even helped get a "Can-Do" program in Pittsburgh. I need the motivation from all of you - so keep talking!!

Comment

What a wonderful post, Indianalynn.

Thank you for sharing your story

Originally posted by Indianalynn View Post
        I am reading this all with great interest. I went to the Heuga Center in Colorado several years ago, which started me on an "exercise because I can" mentality. I do believe that is why I am still walking, albeit slower and with a cane, BUT I am walking. I was dx in 1983, and was never into being physically fit-until I couldn't do the things I was used to doing.
        Heat was always my enemy - from early in my life, when I began to have migraines at the age of five (generally heat caused). When I developed M.S., heat made it feel like I was having the life sucked out of me.
        Going to the Heuga Center (now the Can-Do program) really opened my eyes. And finding a Pilates studio changed my life. I think there are many ways to get your body moving, and with a physical therapist and your neurologist, you can find the "right" plan for you. And there are ways to do it that will mitigate the negative effects of heat. Water aerobics is a great way, as others have said.
        Others have said "they exercise because THEY CAN" - and I have made that my mantra too. I exercise because I CAN. We all can benefit from this discussion...sharing the tricks of the trade, both the negatives and the positives, have been so beneficial to me. I even helped get a "Can-Do" program in Pittsburgh. I need the motivation from all of you - so keep talking!!
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I AGREE SNOOPY- I DO FREE WEIGHTS AND WATER EXERCISES- I REALLY ENJOY IT- I FEEL LIKE U SNOOPY- IF I HAD GIVEN UP WITH MY DX I WOULD BE LIKE SEVERAL OF MY FRIENDS- NOT WALKING AT ALL!
          I GOT TO KEEP IT MOVIN-
          ;DM.S. + MY STORY = I WILL SURVIVE THIS STORM TOO! AUDREY R

Comment

Well, I always worked out (not with weights, though, I danced! If you watch any of the dance shows you'll see what a work out THAT is! ).

Guess what? I can't walk anymore. It took over 30 years for that to happen, but happen it did.

The disease is so different for each and every one of us. I think that's probably why they're having such a hard time getting a handle on it.

I think exercise is VERY important, though, and encourage everybody to do what they're able to do!
            “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
            Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Originally posted by jazzgirl View Post
              Well, I always worked out (not with weights, though, I danced! If you watch any of the dance shows you'll see what a work out THAT is! ).

Guess what? I can't walk anymore. It took over 30 years for that to happen, but happen it did.

The disease is so different for each and every one of us. I think that's probably why they're having such a hard time getting a handle on it.

I think exercise is VERY important, though, and encourage everybody to do what they're able to do!
              Did the meds not help? Stuff like this scares the crap out of me. You were probably more active than me =[

Comment

Originally posted by Nabbosa View Post
                I agree with everything posted so far, but I have a couple of other points based on work I used to do in cognitive psychology and developing neural networks etc.

First, if your muscles are well trained in a task, but you have a blip in the neurological system, sometimes the muscle memory can compensate. I have to admit that I'm not sure exactly how bad a blip can be compensated for, but it definitely happens.

Second - and not entirely unrelated - the brain is capable of creating new networks to compensate for damage to old ones. You can read about this in journalism about stroke and TBI patients, but it's a general phenomenon. This is something that can take over to a limited extent, especially if your body already knows how to do a motion.
                Like Jazzzgirl with her dancing, I was an avid tennis player and bicycle rider.

I continued these activities for a few years after diagnosis, but they both gradually became more and more difficult.

While playing tennis, the brain signals to my legs would get confused, and I would fall down (even broke my foot one time). Also, I would get neuro-muscular fatigue so bad that I could barely walk back to the car after playing. Why didn't new neural pathways form, I wonder.

I kept riding my bike, (after I couldn't play tennis anymore), and again the brain signals would get mixed up and after awhile my leg would fly off the pedal and go into an extensor spasm (quite scary and I would have to stop), along with neuro-muscular fatigue that would cause great difficulty moving my arms and legs after riding awhile.

I still exercise regularly, within my capabilities, but I'm not getting "stronger."

Maybe these new neural pathways/networks don't happen with PPMS or SPMS? If they did, I should still be playing tennis and riding my bike, and Jazzgirl would still be dancing.

In any case, it would be so nice if that "phenomenon" of new networks would happen with us. Seems like if it was going to happen, it would have happened by now, as I've been active in sports and exercise for my entire life.

Take care,
                KoKo
                PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Yes or no?

I was always an avid exerciser. I ran marathons and loved to bike ride long distances so I am not trying to avoid e exercise but the past year I ambling soccer3. I am curled up for days after any exercise and I am not heat sensitive at this point.

Everytime I have started an exercise routine since symptoms began, I have had a sharp decline in progression. I am now afraid of exercise. I am not sure how to handle my MS at this time.
                  Think of something you would die for, and live for it.

Comment

MS is such a strange disease. I use to weight lift, was very active. As the spasticity started to worsen, in my legs, my first thought was EXERCISE! Yep, walk it out. That's what we were taught, walk out the stiffness, walk out the pain. Well, it does NOT work that way with MS, for some of us. I'm angry, and refuse to give in, but what the h3ll! How do I get exercise, when using my legs causes the spasticity to worsen, the heat from exercise makes my symptoms worse.....MS is the disease that just keeps on giving.
                    MS, it's a brain thang!
                    Proud to have served, U.S Army WAC

Comment

Just like WACVet

Same as WACVet. Crazy ****tin disease!
                      Think of something you would die for, and live for it.

Comment

AshNight,

Great post, thank you.

Shaw said "Use your health, that is what it is for. Spend all you have before you die and don't outlive yourself."

Other post said much the same. Exercise is good... MS or not.

Exercise "opens up" the body in many ways, specifically one thinks better, clearer and in my opinion more positively.

And exercise shouldn't be considered as limited to the body.

Read things you don't understand and exercise your mind.

Try the Bible (or any religious book) or prayer and exercise your soul.

If we're not growing, we're dying.

Jer

Comment

exercise and MS

simple the most motivating answer for it is, if a cure was found today would you have the strength to benefit from it. Example do you have muscles you could use.

Comment

AshNight, you may want to check out ActiveMSers.org for dozens of tips and tricks on how to exercise with multiple sclerosis. It's one of the most popular pages on my website and it's comprehensive. Good luck with staying fit!

Dave Bexfield, ActiveMSers.org

Comment

Working...
                            X