Light Weight Purse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light Weight Purse?

Hi Ladies! I am looking for a new purse. I have been a leather girl most of my life. Now however my purse is just too heavy for me. It is lined in leather also so that adds to the weight.

Anyone have a favorite purse that is lighter weight and can be work over the shoulder or cross body? I use a cane so I have to have a purse with a long strap so I can keep my other hand open for use.

I was looking at bags from a company called Everest. They seem rather cheap which is good for me!!! Anyone have any favorite companies?

CrazyCatLady
    MS Does Not Define Me.....My Love of Tea Does! LOL!

I have alot of denim cloth purses, some wide enough to put a fold up cane in. I only buy the ones that have the long ajustable strap on them, as I too wear them across my neck and shoulder, and then walk with my cane.

I found most of them at Wal-mart. Also I think 1 or 2 came from a Shopko store. They are very light weight, and I really like the fact that I can wash them. I just throw them in the washing machine with some towels. Works great for me!

Comment

My husband has bought me purses as gifts for most of our marriage. He buys very nice, expensive, leather bags and I've always loved them...but they do have weight to them.

For Christmas we went to our local department store, and I picked out a lightweight, rather small, faux leather purse. It wasn't expensive, but had a nice look to it. The lighter weight is wonderful, and the strap does extend so you can carry it any number of ways. Plus it has lots of pockets inside which I like.

My PT picked it up and handed it to me the other day (I think it's a PT test...they want to know how heavy the purse is you're carrying and then fuss at you if it's too heavy )...and his remark was, "Nice purse, really light."

So I guess go with the cheaper ones would be my advice.

One thing I miss, my last leather purse had a wonderful feature, a built in key chain with an extendable wire, so your keys were always attached to your purse, you just reached in and pulled and the key extended to your door, or you could remove the device for the car and clip it back in after you took the keys from the ignition. Couldn't find a lightweight one with this feature.

Comment

I use small messenger bags whenever possible (although I'll admit, I'm younger). Many of them are canvas or plastic, not leather, and are designed to be worn over the shoulders. If you dig, you can find ones that have great designs.

Comment

take the change out

I went to the store and just kept picking up bags until I found one I liked. Really didn't care about the brand. I am presently carrying a Kathy Bag!

My bf picked up my bag one evening and then dumped it on the bed. It weighed a ton. After emptying it, we discovered that I had about 4 bucks in loose change floating in the bottom. Did I really need to carry 5 pens? Did I need to carry EVERY business card I owned when I had all the numbers in my cell anyway?

When I finished purging the unnecessary extra weight, I couldn't believe how much extra poundage I had been slinging over my shoulder! I try to be careful how much change gets loose in my bag now because it weighs it ton when you're carrying it around!

Comment

Tummy pack!

When I have to carry money, I wear a small tummy purse doesn't hold much besides an extra small billfold.
            I hand all my cards to my husband. I don't drive to the darling man is always along for dr. appt.
            techie.
            Another pirated saying:
            Half of life is if.
            When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
            Dogs Rule!

Comment

Originally posted by heliotrope View Post
              I use small messenger bags whenever possible (although I'll admit, I'm younger). Many of them are canvas or plastic, not leather, and are designed to be worn over the shoulders. If you dig, you can find ones that have great designs.
              Thank you Ladies for all your ideas. I did dump out my purse and had about 2 dollars in change and (hanging head) SIX pens!! All kinds of other crap that I just dont need. LOL!

On the way home from work yesterday Hubby stopped at the Nex (navy exchange, he is now retired Navy) and bought me a new purse as a surprise.

It is a canvas messenger bag! I so love it! I would say it is a medium size, not a full blown messenger size bag. It lays very nicely when I put it on cross body too. This is perfect! Leave it to hubby to figure out what would work for me.

Thanks for all your advice!!!

CrazyCatLady
              MS Does Not Define Me.....My Love of Tea Does! LOL!

Comment

light weight purse

Hello Ladies
                I know of someone that makes fashionable purses. She is on Face Book. Her name is Sally Groover, and her purses are called Groovy Creations. She's one creative lady

Comment

I think a messenger bag, or a cloth/quilted handmade one (think like Vera Bradley) that you can pick up at a craft show; or have a seamstress make one for you. Those would be lightweight, and you could have pockets, etc. fashioned exactly the way you want if a seamstress makes one for you.

I don't carry a wallet, so having a small flat front zipper pocket with places for my CCs and cash is important for me, and saves huge on weight and space.

Comment

I have a Buxton cell phone wallet. It holds my credit cards and other cards, money, lipstick, a pen, and my cell phone. I have managed to get rid of everything else that I really didn't need. My car keys hook on to the strap ring by a lobster hook on my key chain. This thing is light weight and has a wrist strap. I love not lugging a heavy purse around anymore.
                    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

i was going to chime in with my all time favorite for at least 6 yrs now. an llbean healthy back pack in regular or small. it's an over one shoulder backpack that distributes the weight evenly so it doesn't feel as heavy when you put it on your back. strap is long enough to go across body but i've never worn it that way.
                      has pockets for everything! cell phone, checkbook, wallet, etc. my regular size one even holds my water bottle! but the extra plus is lifetime guarantee. i mess up my 1st one after over a year of use by staining it. they swapped it with a new one!
                      can't beat that kind of service!
                      tho they're not cheap, but if you weigh (sorry for the pun) the quality and life time guarantee i decided to splurge and haven't regretted it a bit!
                      for easter i'm getting it in the small version to lighten up myself.
                      hope your new bag works well for you, if not you might want to check these out!
                      take care and God bless ya!
                      "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

My favorite bags are made by Baggalini. They are mostly travel-type purses so they have a lot of backpacks and cross-body messenger styles.

Some are leather, but most are lightweight nylon.

Love them!

Comment

Nice one

Originally posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
                          Hi Ladies! I am looking for a new purse. I have been a leather girl most of my life. Now however my purse is just too heavy for me. It is lined in leather also so that adds to the weight.

Anyone have a favorite purse that is lighter weight and can be work over the shoulder or cross body? I use a cane so I have to have a purse with a long strap so I can keep my other hand open for use.

I was looking at bags from a company called Everest. They seem rather cheap which is good for me!!! Anyone have any favorite companies?
                          I found a small black purse that you can wear across your body. It has room for your wallet and phone, plus a few other items. I love it as it's lightweight and you hardly know you have it with you.

If you want to e-mail me I'll try to find the name of it; it was $19.00. It's not leather though, it's rip stop nylon, but attractive.

Diane
                          You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Working...
                          X