AAN says mj may hurt more than help with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AAN says mj may hurt more than help with MS

Any possible pain relief provided by MJ(marijauna) may be outweighed by negative effects on thinking skills for people with ms according to Neurology medical journal of the american acadamy of neurology. some reported mild benefits in bladder dysfunction, pain & spacisty but the negative consquence on cognition have to be considered in long term use..

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/220438.php

so anyway, whats the effect of long term pain on cognition?

xxxxxxxxxxx

Or the long term effects on cognition, by the narcotics used to treat pain? Let's not forget the effects, on other bodily systems, by long term use of narcotics to treat chronic pain!
    MS, it's a brain thang!
    Proud to have served, U.S Army WAC

Comment

Originally posted by 0485c10 View Post
      Any possible pain relief provided by MJ(marijauna) may be outweighed by negative effects on thinking skills for people with ms according to Neurology medical journal of the american acadamy of neurology. some reported mild benefits in bladder dysfunction, pain & spacisty but the negative consquence on cognition have to be considered in long term use..

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/220438.php

All drugs seem to have a downside?

Remember Vioxx?
      It worked great for many people....then the liver failure and other problems showed up.

Is MJ bad for memory problems? In my case , yes.
      But it does not cause liver failure or heart problems.

Medications are always a two edged sword. They help some areas and make problems in other areas.
      The trick is try to find a balance and be careful not to use too much of anything.

What effect does long tern use of opiates have on the brain? (they seen to cause loss of brain function also?)

It would be great if we could all get by using nothing but that is not practical for most of us.

What are the pain medications that have no down-side??? (i havent found any yet)

Comment

Well with the brain fog I have many days, my question would be "What thinking skills are they afraid of damaging?"

I don't live in a state where it's legal, so it's a no go for me. I don't know if it would have helped me or not. But when I read it helps spasticity and pain and think of all the drugs MSers take to try to control those symptoms...I think they're missing the forest for the trees in the area of side effects. Some of those "legal" drugs have a "negative consequence" on a person's liver.

Got the pump now, and my spasticity and pain are controlled. Wish people could be allowed to at least try MJ to find out if it did help them.

Comment

Rdmc, I'll be discussing the pump with my neuro when I see him in May. I'm nervous, but SO tired of this spasticity and resulting pain.

0485c10, I'm a child of the '70's. Marijuana doesn't scare me at all.....
          “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
          Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Originally posted by jazzgirl View Post
            Rdmc, I'll be discussing the pump with my neuro when I see him in May. I'm nervous, but SO tired of this spasticity and resulting pain.

0485c10, I'm a child of the '70's. Marijuana doesn't scare me at all.....
            Jazz,

It was hard for me to accept the "pump" concept, but it's worth it at least to do the trial to see.

As to the MJ...I guess I was a goody two shoes because I'm a child of the 70's, LOL, but never tried the stuff. Well, even Bill Clinton didn't inhale .

But I sure would have like to have tried it to see how it worked on spasticity. Remember Mike from BC (was he on this board or Braintalk?)..he used to use it and said it completely eliminated his spasticity and his MS was well advanced.

Comment

i think they are probably coming out with this now because of the new drug Otsuka’s Sativex which has been approved in Europe, and that although neuros here have little interest in 4 other symptom meds in the developmental pipeline, they have moderate interest in Sativex for the treatment of spasticity they believe of it will have the most value in their clinical practice.

from Business Wire that reports this:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...Idec%E2%80%99s

Savetex, the investigation cannabis treatment for pain in ms.

http://www.drugdevelopment-technolog...jects/sativex/

wikki describing where savetex has been approved already

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sativex

the last 2 links were just me making sure i have the right drug, the cannabis based drug.

go people of the 70's,the world would be a better place if they were allowed to make the rules!
              xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Originally posted by rdmc View Post
                Jazz,

It was hard for me to accept the "pump" concept, but it's worth it at least to do the trial to see.

As to the MJ...I guess I was a goody two shoes because I'm a child of the 70's, LOL, but never tried the stuff. Well, even Bill Clinton didn't inhale .

But I sure would have like to have tried it to see how it worked on spasticity. Remember Mike from BC (was he on this board or Braintalk?)..he used to use it and said it completely eliminated his spasticity and his MS was well advanced.
                Grassman? Sure, I remember him! He was on Braintalk. He definitely fought the good fight!

The MS was not nearly as much of a problem for me back then (I did have it), but everybody was firing up for absolutely no reason at all, and I never said no to a party. . Never had to pay for it, either. .

Montel was on Dr. Oz's show this a.m. advocating for medical marijuana. I was never a huge fan of his, but he has the same problem as I do with the severe burning in his feet. MJ didn't do jack for me, though. Wish it had...I hate the thought of surgery!
                “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
                Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Originally posted by 0485c10 View Post
                  i think they are probably coming out with this now because of the new drug Otsuka’s Sativex which has been approved in Europe, and that although neuros here have little interest in 4 other symptom meds in the developmental pipeline, they have moderate interest in Sativex for the treatment of spasticity they believe of it will have the most value in their clinical practice.

from Business Wire that reports this:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...Idec%E2%80%99s

Savetex, the investigation cannabis treatment for pain in ms.

http://www.drugdevelopment-technolog...jects/sativex/

wiki describing where savetex has been approved already

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sativex

the last 2 links were just me making sure i have the right drug, the cannabis based drug.

go people of the 70's,the world would be a better place if they were allowed to make the rules!
                  Sativex has been approved in Canada for a couple of years now, I believe.

The USA, my home forever, does seem to still hold on to some of its Puritanical beginnings. It's frustrating for sure!
                  Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Working...
                  X