Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird girdle feeling around abdomen?

Hi again everyone,

Since having many neurological issues, I reckoned I should ask this here aswell.

Today I have a weird feeling around my abdomen kind of-chest.
    It's as if someone is hugging me really tight.

Kind of like a band feeling that goes all around.
    But it's a lot of pressure on my abdomen mainly and it makes it a bit hard to breathe.

I don't think it's hyperventilation as I can tell when I have that or not+I'm not really stressed.

Just wondering if anyone has a clue?

Note: I do not experience any pain or nausea so it's not a GI issue

Aswell I already have a few Auto-immune disorders an am figuring out whether it's causing this or of it's a new one such as MS.
    My brain scan came back normal and spinal cord one aswell it seems, need to call for the last one (spinal cord) to make sure nothing was seen.

I know this does not rule out MS though.
    Aswell knowing that I am only 17, meaning that a lot can still develop.

It's just that the symptoms of CNS Lupus don't really 'fit' my symptoms.
    It's more like seizures etc and headaches, not really compareable to MS symptoms in my opinion.
    Maybe it is Polyneuropathy, but even then...strange

I do have an issue with my optic nerves and need to get a VEP done for this.
    Pupils constant dilated, pupil reflexes are also slow and my vision is less+colourvision issues.

Thanks in advance.

Your description sounds very much like the "hug" that I experienced. That was the symptom that drove me to the doctor (because I thought it might be heart or digestion related).

I actually had to visit a neurologist without my PCP's advice because I thought it might be MS - which it was.

Comment

Shani, you describe "the hug" just like I do! Long before my dx I thought of it as "my internal corset" since I was most comfortable with perfect posture.
      DX 10/2008
      Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
      Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
      Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Sounds like the "MS Hug".

Such a misleading name! It should be called the MS Python!

A hug sounds so nice?
        Having a large creepy reptile wrapped around yourself seems to more accurately describe the sensation?

It is not pleasant or comforting at all.(like a hug is.)
        It is unpleasant and a little scary. (more like being squeezed by a large snake.)

Comment

Yeah they should change the name for sure... I hate the MS hug it feels horrible. Sorry you have to go through it.
          Life is like a coin u can spend it any way u want, but u can only spend it once!

Comment

Thank you everyone for the confirmation.

Sometimes it's hard to tell as you wonder if you're not just imagining things but I certainly know it is something and it's a very annoying pressure/band or 'corset' alike feeling on my abdomen.

Not nice at all.

Comment

Not a nice hug

Yes, I get this too. it is definately not a nice hug. I dislike mine deeply. I started gabapentin for it - and it really does help. I am tapering up right now and hate that I am not on the mid day dose yet b/c it really hurts by the end of the day.
              Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
              ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

About that "hug"

Since we are discussing that awful feeling, I thought I would ask a question. Has anyone had it but combined with other symptoms? I had my first experience with it starting this past january. It finally stopped just comp,etelyvanished this past Sunday afternoon. I had this awful squeezing, crushing sensation in my ribs, and the left side of my chest and neck. Add facial numbness and intense outer ear pain to the mix. Sound familiar to anyone? My gp thought it might be my heart. My ticker as well as the rest of my systems are in great health. Gabapentin took the edge off but it took 9 weeks for it to go away.

Comment

Yep

Ive been having this awful tight feeling around my chest and ribs for about 3 weeks now. I has even gotten bad enough that it is interfering with my eating. I have alot of stomach upset with it but feel it may be from taking so much tylenol for the rib pain and just trying to get it to relax. Dr sent me for gallbladder sonogram today, which Im sure will be ok. It always is. Google "girdle band constriction" I cant remember what site had an article on it, maybe About.com (dont know if Im allowed to say that ooops) I did finally take a valium and I believe it has helped, now my ribs are just too sore to touch but can breathe alot easier. Good luck, but make sure to ask your doctor about it!! I think mine happens when the weather decides to do its up and down 60 and sunny to 20's and 3 inches of snow in less than 24 hours.

Comment

Shani you are the only one I have heard mention about the tight feeling in the stomch area. Lots of folks mention it in the chest but not stomach. I've had it lots in the chest but only once in the stomach. You are much younger then me. I'm in my 70's. I'm certain mine was caused by MS.

Lois

Comment

Angie,

It is likely your face & ear pain is due to inflammation caused by MS to a cranial nerve. My first MS "attack" was misdiagnosed by an ER dr. as Bell's Palsy. The left side of my face was completely paralyzed, but I still had sensation if i touched it. Prior to the flare, I had intense neck pain. But, I've learned you can also have ear pain, instead.

My neck pain (still seems wierd the pain was always in my neck) was caused by tightening muscles and inflammation of this facial nerve. This pain recurred on and off (even though I never had facial paralysis again) for 6 years before I was finally dx w/ MS and put on baclofen for the spasticity in my legs. Your facial numbness stems from the same nerve. The "average" time for this nerve to return to normal after a "Bell's Palsy" attack (even though for me the ENT and neuros all agree it was really facial palsy from a MS flare) is 8 weeks. I was given oral steroids, which helped me recuperate a few weeks sooner.

My MS hug was very painful, for me completely around my ribcage. Sometimes it was even hard to breathe. Baclofen relieved my neck pain (and I only feared another Bell's palsy attack ... don't I wish that's really what it was now), and finally sufficient dosing from a Baclofen pump has eliminated all my MS hugs. The drug relieved the spasticity and muscle tightness leading to both of my symptoms.
                      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

For me, one day around Christmas time I think....memory stinks lately. I had this awful pain in my chest/abdomen area bad!!!!!
                        I felt like I had a nalien in my body trying to come out. Was not constipated and had just used the bathroom before feeling came on. I actually feel asleep on all fours, most comfortable position. Woke up fine, but geez it was a painful thing

Comment

Working...
                        X