Is gilenya not good for younger people?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is gilenya not good for younger people?

thats what this neuro said to me when I wanted to take something orally. I dont like injections. I was just diagnosed a few days ago =[

My doctor told me the same thing - she said b/c it can damage your vision permanently and it was a big risk...

Comment

How young are we talking here?
      Nancy
      Diagnosed with RRMS: June 2008. Rebif: Aug. 2008 - Aug. 2011, Gilenya: Sept. 2011 - Aug. 2012. TTC for baby #1

Comment

Originally posted by shortcake23 View Post
        How young are we talking here?
        twenty three

Comment

hey AshNight, I am 19 and I was just diagnosed this past August. I had to hurry to start treatment before going back to school at the end of august.
          I wish I could of done a pill, I was devastated most not by my diagnosis but by the thought of giving myself a injection.
          I have been scared of needles my whole life it was my nightmare come true.

I was able to do it though. It was very hard and it was a slow process, I started on rebif which is three times a week I do mine on sunday tuesday and thursday (so i still am free to do whatever on Friday and Saturday)
          I do the injection by resting the needle on my skin and it slowly eventually starts to go in, the skin parts and accepts it.
          It was really hard and im still getting used to it but you have to do whats best for you, I know its scary. Im here if you want to talk!

Comment

Sorry about all of this.

In studies Gilenya was only tested and approved for patients 18 and older. I dont think it was tested on elderly either.

The issues with the eyes is called macular edem and if they catch it early it is totally reversable. The catching it early part is important. With Gilenya there are tests you have to go though, blood work, EKG, and 2 eye exams.

As somone who has been on Avonex, Betaseron, and now Gilenya I understand too. The needles are scarey! I know! Gilenya is scarey too. Yes it is a pill but it has only been studied for 4 years before being approved in Sept 2010.

I was diagnosed in June 2010 and after bad side effects from the interferons and my MS being so darn agressive my neuro offered Gilenya because it is a stronger medication. That fact that it was a pill had no weight on my decision. I needed something stronger.

I guess what I am trying to say is, pick you med for how it works and what you need, not for how it is delivered. (Pill vs injection.)

CrazyCatLady
            MS Does Not Define Me.....My Love of Tea Does! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
              I guess what I am trying to say is, pick you med for how it works and what you need, not for how it is delivered. (Pill vs injection.)
              You said that perfectly!
              Love, Laugh, Live...in this order
              Dx'd 2-24-11 - Baclofen 60 mg/day 5-11, LDN 4.5 mg/day 9-24-11, Cymbalta 60mg/day for pain 11-11

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
                Sorry about all of this.

This is almost the same thing I would have said! I was dx in 2005.. I have tried almost everything.. For me, nothing worked or it caused problems, so i'm going to try Gilenya (i'm 24 by the way, as an age reference). If I had my choice, I would go with Tysabri or a CRAB as they are more proven. Unfortunately, those are not options from me at the moment. Do what is best for you and weigh all the risks vs the benefits.

Comment

Working...
                X