Mentrual Cycle and MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mentrual Cycle and MS

I know this topic has been brought up before but I think my question is a bit different.

Let me give you a bit of info before I get into my question. I am 39 yrs old. My whole life I have been one of those lucky women that have had light periods that only last about 4 days. Usually little to no cramping, but I have always experienced PMS about a week before I start (boating, mood swings, being tired). For about the last 4 yrs. my periods have been heavier and I get a lot of cramping the day I start.

I was diagosed with MS Nov. 20, 2010. I was having some vision problems at the time. Because of the holidays and snow storms we had here I wasn't able to start my first steriod treatment until Jan 3 (which I will say, the steroids were wonderful. If they weren't so bad for me I would love to be on them all the time. I felt great after them). I had my period the week before I started it. It was normal. I started on Rebif the week after my steriod treatment.

I had my period sometime in Jan. Don't remember the exact date(I am really bad with that), but I do know that is was normal.

I had my period again the first week of Feb., but this time is was VERY light. I was hardly bleeding at all and the blood was brown. I know the brown blood is usually associated with old blood. It lasted about 2 days. I thought it was odd and asked my neuro about it when I saw him a week later. He told me that the steriods can affect your cycle and it should fix itself. A week later(2wks. after I started the first time) I had it again....and this time it was extremely heavy and I was very crampy. This one lasted 4 days which is normal for me. The difference this time being the heavy flow.

On March 12 I had my period again...this time it was a normal period. Lasted 4 days normal flow...I thought everything was back to normal.

I saw my neuro on March 22 and forgot to mention having my period a second time in Feb. But I figured I would be fine this month.

But today, March 26, I have started AGAIN. So far it seems normal...normal flow and only a little bit of cramping.

My question is....Do the steroids do this to a mentrual cycle? Could it be pre-menopause? Could it be the MS? I am calling my neuro on Mon. to ask about this but I didn't know if anyone else has experienced this.

Sorry if any of this is hard to understand...I have trouble at times putting my thoughts together conherently. Any input would be a great help.

Thanks,

Melissa

Instead of calling your neuro I would recommend seeing your GYN. My opinion...for what it's worth.

MS does not effect cycles, steroids...I don't know. Perimenopause...yes.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi Melissa:
      MS itself isn't known to affect menstrual cycles. Medications, though, can and do.

Prednisone/prednisolone is a glucocorticoid, one of several groups of steroid hormones. The sex hormones are also steroid hormones. The synthetic steroids (glucocorticoids or corticosteroids) can goof up mentrual cycles because there can be some crossover in receptor types for the different groups (in this case, synthetic hormones and natural sex hormones) for certain molecules.

The interferons can also affect cycles. The clinical trials for Rebif didn't find much difference from placebo in the percentage of subjects reporting irregularities, and for that reason some people swear that Rebif doesn't affect cycles. However, there is some evidence in the medical literature that cycle irregularity is, in fact, a common complaint, and some research results to support it. For example, in a study called "Menstrual irregularities and related plasma hormone levels in multiple sclerosis patients treated with beta interferone," the researchers found that, "In comparison to the control group, the [interferone] patients had higher prevalence of irregular menstruation (P=0.001), oligomenorrhea (p=0.03), abnormal amount of menstrual blood flow (P=0.001), abnormal duration of menstrual flow (P=0.01) and missed period (P=0.04). They said, "In conclusion, the results of this study emphasized the high rate of menstrual problem [sic] and changes of related plasma hormone levels in MS patients."

Based on that, your menstrual irregularities could have been caused by the steroids, Rebif or both. Not uncommon at all.

Comment

Thank you for your response.

We just rencently moved here and I don't yet have a gyn, but I will definitely look for one now that I am having this problem.

At least now I know that what I am going through is not a norm for MS in general but could be the Rebif or steriods. At least I have something to go to a gyn with.

Thanks again.

Melissa

Comment

I remember when I first got diagnosed. They put me on steroids and it messed with my period the first month. I do think it's normal.

Comment

Working...
          X