WHAT NEXT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHAT NEXT

Just back from neuro now I have a lesion on spine great so chances are higher for disability fantastic how do we be positive

I'm coming off a really negative vibe recently, so please don't think I"m being a "rah-rah" here.... but, I honestly try not to think about the lesions. I certainly have my moments.. I just had one. But, when it comes to the lesions, I just pretend they are not there. My neuro is a teaching doctor and always has students with him. He has mentioned to them in the past (in front of me) how different MS for everyone. He said he could have a patient with 1 or 2 lesions who can't walk and then someone like me, who has too many to count and I seem fine (generally).

So, have your moment and then move past it. I find that if I do think about it I start to have weird problems anyway (can't swallow, can't see... but it's all in my head - no pun intended).

I also try to imagine myself playing a video game that "fixes" the lesions. In my head, that is positive and will show up on the next MRI

I hope that helps in some way.
    Donna

Dx: 12/2/05

They say God doesn't give you more than you can handle.... why does he trust me so much??

Comment

msprinnie

Just back from neuro now I have a lesion on spine great so chances are higher for disability fantastic how do we be positive
      I understand your concern, and your thinking about the "what ifs." It's pretty normal to do that, and we all do that at one time or another. I'm not going to suggest to "just think positive."

But how about trying not to obsess about the future? It's best to try and really live in the day at hand. Otherwise, if our minds are constantly catastrophizing today about a future that isn't even here yet, we miss out on the life we have to live now.

Originally posted by pds517 View Post
      My neuro is a teaching doctor and always has students with him. He has mentioned to them in the past (in front of me) how different MS for everyone. He said he could have a patient with 1 or 2 lesions who can't walk and then someone like me, who has too many to count and I seem fine (generally).
      Good sharing, pds. MS is very unpredictable. Might as well live our best with the abilities we do have, today.

We do have the choice to worry ourselves sick, if we want to. I used to be the queen of worry - but it made me so miserable that I finally had to learn how to stay focused on today. I might plan for the future, but I still live and focus my energies in the 24 hours at hand.

Hope that helps a little (and hopefully it made sense.)

Take care,
      KoKo
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

MS is a disease of the Central Nervous System (CNS) which includes the brain, spine and optic nerve. Lesions can and do show up anywhere in the CNS.

To focus on a spinal cord lesion is a waste of time...not much you can do about it. Unfortunately, lesions are a normal part of Multiple Sclerosis.

This disease will affect each of us differently regardless of lesion location.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I don't worry about specific lesions, can't do anything about them. I am aware of what 'might' happen, but I don't let it control me. Just live the life you have.
          Bill
          Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

quality

I have a lot of lesions on both brain and spinal cord. I try not to worry about them. They are there. I can't get rid of them. And I am still able to walk, talk, yell, scream and play my violin. Not anywhere near as well as I used to but I still can! I try to concentrate on the things I CAN do.

I don't dwell on what I can't change. Just because you have lesions on your spine doesn't necessarily mean you will end up in a wheelchair. Having skis doesn't mean you can ski either.

Don't let the 'what might be' control your world. They MIGHT be. It doesn't mean it will. Enjoy the life you have NOW. Don't worry for tomorrow.. let tomorrow take care of itself. We have enough to worry about today. Like Koko said, if you spend all your time worrying, you will miss out on the life you have now.

Comment

Don't fear the unknown...it may work out o.k.

Originally posted by msprinnie View Post
              I've had MS for about 15 years now...I have had lesions on 80% of my spine...point being...It usually takes years to experience anything truely devasting...and for many nothing devastating EVER happens. I've been in a power wheel chair for 6 yrs. and life is still good most days. But a twisted sense of humor and a fighting spirit helps!!llol You will be o.k., be strong
              Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth. Unknown

Comment

It's easy to get down and scared and it's normal, too. I find though, if I take the time to look around there are many people worse off than I am.

For instance, I have a warm home; Many have no home at all. I have a computer to communicate or learn from when I don't feel like going out; some don't really know what a computer is and it would be the last thing on their list of must haves, food would top it. I'm ambulatory right now; I will be even if I end up wheelchair bound. I hurt sometimes; I'm so happy I have feeling and can hurt. The list can go on and on and on.

Again, I'm not saying that we don't have a tough lot in life, only that if I get saddened I try to check things out on the news or with others. It ususally makes me feel grateful for those lesions knowing there are so many other things that could be even worse.
                What if trials of this life
                Are Your mercies in disguise?
                "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

I was dx 20 years ago with a lesion on my spine. It is still there along with one on my lumbar spine and more than 10 in my brain. I am still walking and not in a wheelchair.

I agree with the Krysalus, I don't worry about them. I try to focus I what I still can do and I'm grateful for that.

Take this moment and be mad and even cry....but then take a look around and embrace what you can still do and live for today not in the fear of what tomorrow may bring.

I read once that "worrying is like sitting in a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but doesn't get you anywhere"

So smile and hugs to you.
                  Opiegirl, Dx 1991
                  Have never used DMD's.

LDN 9/2011-9/2012 & just started again 6/14
                  Estriol 9/12-present
                  Still Hopeful.

Comment

Thanks for all of your kind comments I was feeling pretty low at the time I am now embarking on Rebif tomorrow scared yet again HA HA

Comment

I have a large one on my c-spine; it's what was causing the symptoms that sent me to the neuro. I know it's all but impossible to mot think about it, but as much as possible I am trying to accept it. All I can do is take my meds and live my life, you know?

Let us know how the Rebif goes!

Comment

Working...
                      X