No announcement yet.

What's the connection??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gluten is a protein. Proteases ( enzymes in the pancreas) digest proteins. If you are lacking proteases, you will not be able to properly digest gluten and that of couse could lead to a gluten intolerance. All of these things are so connected.

Comment

RedheadRA

wait! Keep going.... how is that connected to MS???

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by redheadRA View Post
        Gluten is a protein. Proteases ( enzymes in the pancreas) digest proteins. If you are lacking proteases, you will not be able to properly digest gluten and that of couse could lead to a gluten intolerance. All of these things are so connected.
        Actually, with gluten intolerance, I don't think it's so much a matter of not being able to digest the gluten as it is that it causes an allergic reaction and autoimmune response in the body. Gluten is actually seen as an antigen and triggers the white blood cells to attack the body. In Celiac disease, it is especially damaging to the small intestines, but both it and gluten intolerance can cause brain lesions and neurological problems such as numbness, tingling, balance problems, cog fog, etc. In other words, symptoms that can also be found in MS.

I haven't been diagnosed with MS, but I did have low Vitamin D, I have IBS, and for a period of time last October during a bad flare up, I was having simple partial seizures. Of course, I may never know what's going on. I was tested for Celiac recently, but that was negative. I'm still thinking of trying a gluten free diet though, just to see if that helps any.
        Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
        Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
        Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Shashi-- Thanks for pointing that out. I agree, but also the undigested protein can cause the immune system to react. In order for a food molecule to elicit an allergic response, it must be a fairly large molecule. In studies performed in the 1930's and 1940's pancreatic enzymes were shown to be quite effective in preventing food allergies. Typically, individuals who do not secrete enough proteases will suffer multiple food allergies.

Amy--If you look under these threads, you will see the connection to these things and more.

Headaches
          Seizures and B12
          Depression
          High Calcium
          MS Causes Fatigue

Just look for my posts and Nettle's.

Comment

Working...
          X