Can't figure it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't figure it.

Before Dad was released from the hospital on Fri they did a 2nd chest xray. Dr came in & said that one lung was clear now, but the other still had pneumonia in it. Right after this he was taken to the rehab center. While visiting yesterday (Sat) Dad was having a hard time breathing & was complaining of bad chest pain when he took a deep breath or coughed. He asked me to ask the nurse if he could have a pain pill. I went & asked for one because Dad's chest was hurting. She said well I better come check him out if he is having chest pain. I said well I am sure it is his pneumonia. She said what pneumonia? They thought his pneumonia had cleared up. He wasnt on an antibiotic since he had been at the rehab.

I called the nurses station on the floor where he was at the hospital. Long story short he should have still be on an antibiotic. This isnt the rehab's fault, this is the hospitals fault. They didnt put it in their report that was sent to the rehab. The nurse apologized over & over & said it was a good thing I caught it. I am relieved too because I could have easily assumed that he was on it. So the hospital faxed over the order for the antibiotic & breathing treatments as needed. I left last night thinking all was well.

This morning I got a call from his nurse at the rehab center. She said that Dad's oxygen was staying at 82% on oxygen and his respirations were 32. She said he was also very crackly & wheezy. She felt that he was in respiratory distress & was sending him to the e.r. I told her I would meet him there.

They did another chest xray. It was clear. No pneumonia at all. He seemed fine while there, just low potassium. They gave him 3 pills for that & sent him back to rehab.

I just called to check on him. Nurse said he was doing very well. I asked about his oxygen level. She said it was at 97% as long as he kept his oxygen on. I just dont understand why he is having all these issues if his lungs are clear. I have been doing some researching on this subject on the internet. I have read that respiratory muscle dysfunction is seen in advanced MS. Does anyone think this could be what is going on here? Keep in mind that the hosp said they couldnt ever say that he definately had pneumonia. Both lungs were caving in at the bottom & they were assuming it was pneumonia & treating it as such. They couldnt do an MRI because of his kidneys. Do you think that the lungs could have been collapsing some from his MS compromising his lungs somehow?
Working...
X