Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebif

Hi -

I'm new here but this appears to be a great community. My boyfriend has MS and I'm writing for him (because he is out a computer at the moment). He was diagnosed with MS last fall but has probably had it more than 10 years.

He is on Rebif and has been having a tough time. He says it makes him feel like a different person. He became pretty depressed when he first started taking it and they put him on an anti-depressant that has helped some. However, he went off Rebif for a week and the depression was gone so it is clearly tied to the meds. He also has a MUCH lower sex drive since being on the drug and is constantly having mouth sores.

So. . . has anyone else felt like a different person on Rebif or other interferons? Has anyone had similar side effects? What is your experience on Rebif? I'd love to hear your experience. Thanks!

Welcome beckywedd!

I was on Rebif when I was first diagnosed.

Depression is a known side effect of Rebif. I experience mild depression when I was on it.

Your boyfriend doesn't need to stay on Rebif if it is causing him a lot of problems. The good news is that he has options. There are other interferons, Avonex & Betaseron, but which may also cause depression. Copaxone users don't generally have depression as frequently as interferon users.

There's also Tysabri and Gilenya.

Have your boyfriend talk to his neuro about his medication choices.

Good luck & be well,

Comment

Working...
    X