Genetics and M.S., AGAIN...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Genetics and M.S., AGAIN...

Today I "outed" myself about having M.S. to a mom at my daughter's school. I figured it was time. Her response surprised me, "Really? Does anyone else in your family have M.S.?" I was totally stunned to be asked such a question by a lay-person. Even other people with M.S. never ask me that! "Yes", I replied, "my mother!" (and I was too stupefied to even continue that I also had 3 cousins with this, too). I found out that her husband is a SSDI lawyer, so perhaps she knows about M.S. clusters in a way that most people do not. I wish more people were that educated about M.S. I found the experience to be quite validating.
    Tawanda

well, I am glad that the experience was a good one! It is always nice to be surprised in a good way by people!
    Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
    ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

That is very cool.

Imvho the years of downplaying this very real connection in so many cases has hindered our understanding and possibly stalled real progress.

It reminds me of early in HIV history. There was information about that disease for many, many years before the public was made aware. Imo it was because originally it mainly affected homosexuals and obscure populations in
      3rd world countries...as if that made it ok to basically ignore. How many people died because of this bias and secrecy?

So to me it is progress that some physicians are finally being honest about the familial connection with MS so people who are interested in exploring all sides are able to make an informed decision before purposely having bio children.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Genetic testing? Would you even want to?

I have HLN on right now. They just had a segment about gene segments being discovered for heart disease. I think it's only a matter of time before such a genetic test is available for M.S. The question is, would you do it? My brothers and sisters are too old to worry, but our kids aren't. Hmmmmm....
        Tawanda

Comment

My mother had it I've got it, I have a first cousin with it ( my mother's brother's daughter) and my niece has it (my brother's daughter). To my amazement, my niece has gone ahead and had three children, and her husband has an autoimmune disease also. All I could do was shake my head.
          Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

No one else in my family has it. But I do have diabetes, lymphocitic colitis, psoriasis, and rheumatoid arthritis which are all auto-immune diseases.

Most of my siblings and parents have their immune system attacking parts of their bodies. Just all different parts
            Brenda
            Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

Family history

My mom had many problems and I often wonder about her having had MS. I don't think so though.

On the other hand there was a Great Aunt on my mothers side of the family who had a mysterious disease that caused her to end up bed ridden.

My mom was a little girl so no one really bothered to explain to her what was wrong with Auntie. This happened in the early 1900's when disease processes were not very clear.

Women in particular were considered the 'weaker sex' and so many things that would raise a red flag now went unchallanged then.

This, to me, is a good reason for us all to do a bit of sluething. We can try to look back through genealogy and see if there is any thing that could have been MS.

Diane
              You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Originally posted by DianeD View Post
                This, to me, is a good reason for us all to do a bit of sluething. We can try to look back through genealogy and see if there is any thing that could have been MS.

Diane
                That is my thought also because imo in most cases if we shake the family tree hard enough something that might have been MS will drop out.
                He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                Anonymous

Comment

I'm the only one with MS but many family members have an autoimmune disease. Both my DD and I have narcolepsy, which is also autoimmune and genetically linked. My cousin has otosclerosis. My son has psoriasis (sp)

I have a feeling that sometime in the future they're going to find some sort of link between all autoimmune dd's. And that they just present differently in different people.
                  What if trials of this life
                  Are Your mercies in disguise?
                  "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

Interesting thread.........

I recall one relative that was bed ridden. I do not recall what he was, relative wise, or the cause. I was quite young when we visited them.

I also have other AI issues, psorasis, diabetes and subclinical thyroid which might be AI related.

Gomer... Dr of been there, done that

Comment

I've done a lot of genealogical work and found out that in my Great-great Grandmother's obituary it said she had "an attack of paralysis" from which she recovered. That sounds like MS to me, and she's in the line where the MS is in my family. Genealogy is a fun hobby; you can find all sorts of quirks in your family!
                      Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

My Sister who is about 16 months younger than I was DX 8 months ago with it and my Aunt has had it for over 30 years. I'm in Limbo right now with MS like SX with all other Diseases ruled out and an MRI in May to compare to MRI in February which showed 8-10 Lesions.

If there isn't a genetic link you could have fooled me.
                        DX RRMS 4/22/11

Comment

Hey Concerned, with 10 lesions and all sorts of symptoms, why in heck are you still in limbo?

Comment

Originally posted by GEM View Post
                            Hey Concerned, with 10 lesions and all sorts of symptoms, why in heck are you still in limbo?
                            Your guess is as good as mine GEM. I'm playing along at this point with May being the turning point. If I'm still in Limbo then I'll move on for a 2nd opinion.
                            DX RRMS 4/22/11

Comment

I am the only one in my family with any autoimmune anything... there has to be something more than simple genetics which causes this I would think. Otherwise, how can it have started in the first place?

Comment

Working...
                              X