Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copaxone injection site reaction

Hi all
    Im wondering if anyone can give me some hints on how to reduce injection site reactions while on Copaxone?
    Im due to start this soon and want to be prepared just in case I react. Thanks Heather

I have read that the site reactions are much lower if you manually inject. Lets you go slower, control the shot.
    Bill
    Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Thanks Bill, Thats good advice and makes sense. Im due to start them next week so will let you know how it goes. Heather

Comment

Giving your body time to get used to Copaxone will help, but just know that the side effects probably will happen.

In the beginning, I would use ice an area before a shot for a few minutes, then it made the injection place worse, so I quit.

To combat itchiness (which in the beginning was a bit crazy for me), I began using Benadryl Anti-itch gel. I still use it and find it helps.

It will take your body a long time to get used to the Copaxone. Remember that the reaction sites will lesson over time.

Injecting manually also helps reduce site reactions.
        If you can, do that.
        It takes guts, but if I can do it, anyone can.

You'll learn and have days with better shots than others, too.
        Arms can get super sore from the med, so consider not injecting there. Check with your Neuro first.
        There are "off site" areas that I have used as injection areas for many years, so understand that the Copaxone body chart is good, but other areas can be used.

Glad you are asking questions.
        Hope this helps.

Comment

Twisterred gives some good advice.

However, we're all different. You may need to experiment to see what works best for you.
          1. Although manual injections worked better for me with Betaseron, with Copaxone, being able to set the depth on the auto-injector seems to make auto-ject injections better for me than manual injections.
            • If you use the auto-injector, be sure to read and follow guidelines regarding where you set the depth. It varies per injection site, depending on how much fat you have there. And, if their suggestions don't work for you, experiment with that too.
          2. Some people recommend applying heat or cold before and/or after the injection. Different people suggest different strategies.
            • Cold works for me if I have any pain following the injection. (I refrigerate the cold pack that comes with the Copaxone shipment I recieve in the mail, and just place that on the injection site over a T-shirt of a towel.) If I apply cold prior to the injection, it hurts much worse.
          3. I refrigerate my Copaxone, and take out 5 at a time and store them in my medicine cabinet (they need to be stored out of the light). The meds seem to burn more, going in, if given at a refrigerated temperature. It is best to inject when they are at room temperature.
          4. Arnica Gel (available at health food stores) can be applied and be helpful/soothing if your Copaxone injection causes irritation, pain or itchiness.
          Shared Solutions, 1-800-887-8100, can give you tips, as well, on how to minimize Copaxone site reactions.

~ Faith
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
          X