Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recently diagnosed and starting treatment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recently diagnosed and starting treatment.

So I was just diagnosed back on the 24th of last month.
    I've started treatment and there's a few things I've noticed and had some questions about.

Rebif-
    I've taken 3 doses of this so far. The first injection I had no side effects, the second and third I did. I know that flu like symptoms are a common side effect of rebif but wow I didn't think it would be like this. I get some pretty high fevers and uncontrollable shaking followed by pain...i can barely move and it brings me to tears when I even life my head from the pillow. Has anyone experienced side effects like this and do they subside after awhile? I'm currently on the 8.8mcg dose of the titration pack so I'm dreading when I start the higher dose..will it be worse?

Gabapentin-
    This medication knocks me out, when in the hospital I wasn't even aware when they were doing blood draws and would wake up confused when I'd find the bandage on my arm lol. The doctor reduced my dosage to 100mg twice a day, which she said is incredibly low. I'm not going into that almost drunken state anymore but I do still get pretty drowsy and sometimes need a nap. I also feel kinda spacey...i get stuck mid sentence a lot and forget stuff like crazy. Sometimes I get kinda edgy/anxious, like low patience too. I weigh about 105lbs and I've never been one to take meds unless absolutely necessary...this is the first time in my life I've ever had something medically wrong with me so this is all new to me. Would weight play a factor? Will I develop a tolerance for this medication over time?
    "disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus"

I have no experience with the Galabantin(sp), but I have lots of experience, good and bad, with Rebif.

I was on it for 5 years starting in '03. I have vague memories of it making me kind of sore for the first few months of taking it.

I went off iy in '08 to make a baby and went back on in January and it is kicking my butt. I'm sore and feverish like you described.

The only thing keeping me going - and what is hopefully good news for you - is that I do remember it getting better.

Fingers crossed for both of us
    Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Since you are of such a low weight the lower dose of Gabapentin is probably better for you. You will probably develop a tolerance for it and can probably increase the dose with time if needed. It can cause significant fatigue for some people, doesn't for me.
      Bill
      Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

rebif

I had some bad reactions to rebif when I first started it in June 09. Fevers, chills, achy, and the headache! ARG

But it did get better. I found taking it at night allowed me to sleep through the worst of the side effects rather than doing shots in the morning and living with them for the day. I also took tylenol or advil to help stave off some of them. I got up to the 44 and then went back to the 22 and back up to the 44 till my body got used to the med.

The red spots it left just make my body and interesting landscape. Still get them and have no idea how to get rid of em. Most fade after a few days.

If your reactions are so bad at this low a dose and don't get better, you should talk to your dr about it. He / she should know if you might want to try a different med or give it more time and see if the reactions subside.

Good luck. I hope you feel better soon.

Comment

Working...
        X