Losing my mind...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Losing my mind...

I'm starting to get scared. I'm losing myself.

I'm 24 years old. I got my MSW (Master's in Social Work) in May of 2010, and my MS dx in December of 2010. I remember when, even in the throes of my MSW program, I didn't use a calendar or a planner. I just remembered everything. I was on time to every meeting, class, social event, what-have-you.

Now, post-diagnosis, I still work 40+ hours per week, but I have post-it notes all over my desk. I use a calendar and make a list of the day's tasks. If I don't, I'll forget something.

Each day, I notice more and more forgetfulness:

Yesterday, I asked my husband the same question 3 times in a half-hour period. Today, I walked out of the house, drove 30 minutes to the office, and walked in the door before I realized I'd FORGOTTEN MY SHOES. Now I have to go home and get them before I go out to my appointments.

I'm just sitting here trying not to cry.

FYI: I just started Copaxone a month ago, so I'm not on any other additional meds (for sx) yet. That said, I'm really thinking I'll need them soon.
    "Be the reason for someone’s happiness, not just a part of it. Be a part of someone’s sadness, but not the reason for it."

I can relate- to feel like losing my mind too! Just the other day when my 7 year old grandson was over, I asked him to take the ice pack off my leg and ( I was on my lift chair) and I would go play checkers with him in the kitchen,. He says" where's the ice pack gramma?" I said right here on my left leg.

Well, I thought I had went to get it and put it on, guess what- I didn't!! Pour kid- he must think gramma is alittle off he-he!! My leg felt cold enough - could have sworn that the ice pack was there.

I give you alot of credit for getting your Masters- I personally couldn't wait to get out of high school!

These moments of forgetfulness are really frustrating! I always hope that tomorrow will be a better day (both mentally and physically)!

Comment

A chronic illness diagnosis can cause anxiety and anxiety can cause all kinds of cognitive problems.

Don't assume cognitive imparment until you can be tested etc. and don't assume the worst. Other things can be to blame.

If it helps, one morning I put on two different shoes, drove 2-hours to my first work appointment and looked down when getting out of the car because something felt "weird". I had to call from the parking lot to postpone and find a mall to quickly buy new shoes. Fun walking through the mall kind of looking like a clown.

All I could do is laugh it off. I told the client what happened and we had a good laugh to start the meeting. We are human, not perfect.
      Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

Originally posted by domi6300 View Post
        I just remembered everything. I was on time to every meeting, class, social event, what-have-you.

Now, post-diagnosis, I still work 40+ hours per week, but I have post-it notes all over my desk. I use a calendar and make a list of the day's tasks. If I don't, I'll forget something.
        Yep, that's me, except I don't work outside the house. I homeschool my son. Post-its all around my computer screen. I have been know to ask my hubby something and a short while later I have to ask again--sometimes I remember asking but don't remember the reply, other times I don't even remember asking.
        Jen

Comment

Thanks all for the replies. I called my husband and talked it through, and he helped me to find the humor in my going to work with no shoes on and hiding behind desks to hide my feet until I could find appropriate footwear .

I appreciate that new dx's are anxiety-provoking, and I believe I have been able to maintain an even-keeled approach for the most part. It was just the glaring example of my recent cognitive loss that threw me for a bit.

For what it's worth, I have been through some minimal testing already. The fatigue does NOT help anything, either.
          "Be the reason for someone’s happiness, not just a part of it. Be a part of someone’s sadness, but not the reason for it."

Comment

Remembering stuff, Tom Clancy says it perfectly in his books "if you don't write it down it never happened", a quote of Ryan's wife Cathy, the world famous Eye Surgeon. I could not live without my Palm Pilot.
            Bill
            Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

some days I feel like that

I have taken to writing even the dumbest things on a white board I attached to the back of my apartment door. Some days it has a very basic list. Keys, handbag, glasses, etc. At one point it had things like 'did you brush your hair?'

I started writing things down on a pad I keep in my handbag because I was forgetting too many things. It helps. I also have a whiteboard on the fridge. I have a notepad in my bedroom on the night table.

My bf bought me a day planner that has enough room for me to write lists of stuff so I can remember them and I try to NEVER forget to put it back in my bag. I have but so far, I've been pretty good with it.

You could leave an extra pair of shoes in the car and in your desk at the office. It helps to have a safety net so you don't have to have that extra stress added on top of everything. I had extra shoes, a black jacket and a white blouse in my office. It helped. Especially when I had meetings that I didn't remember for that day. It's a bit of a pain, but it helped in the long run. I had to remember to replace them when I used them!

Hang in there.

Comment

I like the idea of extra shoes in the car. I have a cane in my car in case I need it and did not remember it in the am. I now put my keys in the same place. I do not work, but lost my keys for 2 days in my house....enough of that, now they go on rack each time I come in. The forgetfullness is horrible. Talking to dd today about time of mass tonight so we can all go to church and about 5 minutes later, I asked her what they were doing tonight. Duh????

Hang in there and use your post it notes, or any of the other dieas. I have always used a planner and I like it. I sometimes cannot read my writing though..that gets tough. I am not afraid to ask for help so I have people all over that help me remember and write and stuff like that.

JudySz

Comment

Working...
                X