Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baths?

Hi there,

I was recently diagnosed (two weeks ago) and I've heard that warm/hot baths can make the MS worse. Is this accurate?

Sometimes I am so pooped after cleaning or a long day that I can't fathom standing in the shower...a bath sitting down sounds so much better. But I don't want to make things worse if that is what happens.

Thanks

Sort of. Years ago, a hot bath was actually part of the dx process.

A hot bath can cause a pseudo-exacerbation, which is a temporary worsening of symptoms caused by various triggers. When caused by a raise in body temperature, it resolves as soon as you cool off. Anything that can raise your temp even very slightly can do it: exercise, warm weather, hot shower, even blow drying your hair.

It won't actually make your MS worse, it'll just feel that way.

Just use reasonable caution is all.

Comment

Hi Kenmore

Many of us with MS are heat intolerant. When our core body temperature goes up, even a little, we experience symptoms such as weakness, fatigue, blurry vision, etc.

Heat slows down nerve conduction, and when the nerve signals are already messed up from the MS, there can be a worsening of symptoms. This temporary worsening improves with cooling down.

Here is some info that explains it much better than I have.

http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuse...ow/pageid/1708

Take care,
      KoKo
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Heat in general can bring on symptoms. Some MS-ers are more effected by heat than others. So yes, it is accurate that a warm/hot bath or shower could bring on symptoms.

The good news, according to the MS-cert. nurse who introduced me to the process of self-injection a few months ago, is that when something like heat brings on symptoms they will go away as you cool off again (none of this tingling for 4 months afterward).

She suggested making accommodations for yourself. For instance, if you know you use a hot bath to relax but find yourself feeling weak and fatigued afterward, don't give up your bathtime. Instead, put a seat and a portable fan near the tub. When you are finished with your bath, take a few minutes to sit in front of the fan and regain your strength before you try to dress and get on with your day.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by CNE920 View Post
          She suggested making accommodations for yourself. For instance, if you know you use a hot bath to relax but find yourself feeling weak and fatigued afterward, don't give up your bathtime. Instead, put a seat and a portable fan near the tub. When you are finished with your bath, take a few minutes to sit in front of the fan and regain your strength before you try to dress and get on with your day.
          Wholly agree with this. My nightly bath time is my time to destress and relax. It's one thing that I'm not willing to let go. Sometimes with the bath my vision will start to go wonky, but once I get out and drink some cold water, sit by a fan, I'm good again.

Don't give up the little things that make life great.

Comment

the heat only aggrevates symptoms, but you will return back to how you were before the bath in time.
            if you`re too tired to stand in the shower, get a shower chair. msaa use to give them away, otherwise you can find them at any place that has dms (durable medical supplys). the dx code for ms is 340. good luck.

dave
            hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
            volunteer
            MS World
            hunterd@msworld.org
            PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

It really depends on you. I've got an autoimmune disease that causes you to feel cold on top of the MS. As a result, I take a lot of hot baths (even boiling) to warm up. I've only reacted once to the bath.
              It might be worth trying the suggested "accommodations" and see how you do.

Comment

I am definitely a "hot bath" person. I have learned, so that I don't get to hot, to keep the bathroom door open, and either wait until the water has cooled off or run cool water into the tub before getting out. This has helped and so far I can continue to take my baths!

Good luck!
                Selina
                Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.~Menander

Comment

Hot tubs of water is the way MS used to be DX'd. They put the person in hot water too see how they reacted to it. Of course, some have a harder time with heat than others. MS is such a diversified DD.

I miss my baths, too. DH recently said that it must stink to have to give up something that's so enjoyed. For whatever reason, that made me feel better. I still take baths, I just stick to cooler warm water and only take them when I'm cold so the heat is mostly warming me up closer to normal. I also make sure that DH is home so he can help me if I manage to get myself in a mess and can't get out of the tub.

Once warm weather hits it cool showers for me again.
                  What if trials of this life
                  Are Your mercies in disguise?
                  "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

I do still take a hot bath on occasion, not anywhere near as often as I used to, but I am more careful. I try not to let the water get as hot and I drain the tub before I get out. I'll sit in the empty tub for a few minutes to get back to a cooler temperature.

Comment

Working...
                    X