MRI contrast question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MRI contrast question

When I had my MRI they blew through my vein with the contrast OUCH!! Horrible!! Does this mean that will happen each time I have contrast injected?? I don't ever want that to happen again.

Are there any ways to make this better?
    Love, Laugh, Live...in this order
    Dx'd 2-24-11 - Baclofen 60 mg/day 5-11, LDN 4.5 mg/day 9-24-11, Cymbalta 60mg/day for pain 11-11

It will not happen each time, and it may not happen again at all. You can help by making sure you are well-hydrated before the test. That can be difficult if liquids pass through you like they do me.

The nurse or tech might have been rushing or might not be practiced in their technique. You could ask that they push the dye slowly next time too.

My tech blew a vein in my hand once. It was indeed quite painful and the swelling and discoloration was so bad everybody was asking me what happened. My veins are difficult. Now, before they begin the MRI, they set up an IV in whichever vein is being most cooperative.
    Portia

Comment

Been There Done That!

I plan on asking them to use my arm. This happened to me the last time they used my hand. Ouch!
      ~s

Comment

It might happen again; it might not. I've had veins blow a lot, but I have "problem" veins. I try not to worry about it until it actually happens.

Biggest suggestions. Drink a lot of water. And make sure the tech knows you've had veins blow. They'll be more careful.

Comment

Also it probably has nothing to do with the dye. I've had an inexperienced nurse blow a vein just trying to draw blood from my hand

Comment

Usually they do the IV on the inside of the elbow, very large veins there. The IV is put in before the MRI starts, then used for the dye. Don't have any problem with it, but then, I do have 'junkie veins', very prominent.
            Bill
            Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Actually, they did use the elbow access and it was just this past Feb. I am thinking that they rushed the dye in too fast.

Thank you for the advice to be well hydrated! It was my very first brain MRI and it was the first time I had ever had contrast.

When I went in I didn't even know they were going to use contrast. Now I know.

Thank you and I'm hopeful that my next one will not give me that problem!
              Love, Laugh, Live...in this order
              Dx'd 2-24-11 - Baclofen 60 mg/day 5-11, LDN 4.5 mg/day 9-24-11, Cymbalta 60mg/day for pain 11-11

Comment

It can be many different things - I've had veins blow half-way through a steroid treatment. Just warn them. Hopefully the next one will be better!

Comment

Working...
                X