Melatonin anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Melatonin anyone?

Does anyone take melatonin for sleep? It is a dietary supplement. My psych doctor recommended it for sleep. So I got some. Only it says on the back of the bottle, "Do not take melatonin if you have an auto-immune condition."

So I emailed both my doctor and a pharmacist about it. The pharmacist said don't take it, it could interfere with the Tysabri. My doctor said that it has to do with autoimmune hepatitis not MS and it is okay to take it. The pharmacist did say that she is pretty much against all dietary supplements. But now I don't know what to do. My sleep is lousy and Ambien doesn't work all that much.

If anyone can share that would be great.

Yes, I have been taking it for a while. It doesn't help me to fall to sleep, but it makes it much easier to fall back to sleep when I get up during the night to pee. Just ordered more from Sam's.
    Bill
    Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

I do take it even though I've read it is not recommended. It might ramp up my symptoms a little, not sure. I started taking it again recently and due to stress have been sort of flaring.

Hard to distinguish what causes an increase in symptoms.

My friend told me this week that you can use melatonin to regulate your sleep, and then go off it. She takes it until she starts having a better sleeping pattern, then stops.

Comment

I took melatonin a few years ago and while it did help me sleep, it also gave me horrible nightmares. I guess that's one of the possible side effects.
        Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
        Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
        Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I've taken it and it didn't help. Though my MIL takes it and swears by it. So, I figure it varies from person to person.
          Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

Comment

I want everyone for their responses. I did go back aways and found some talk about it too.

I took it last night. I have a very VERY strange dream, although I wouldn't call it a nightmare. I woke up with a bad headache that went away before I was though breakfast.

Sleep help? Some. I didn't sleep long or straight though, but I did sleep. And some nights I only sleep for 3 hours, so last night was an improvemnt over that for sure. Think I will give it a try for a few days and re-evaulate things after that. Thanks again everyone.

Comment

Hi all, I just started taking 1 mg Liquid Melatonin. It helps me fall and stay asleep. I can get past those millions of thoughts racing around in my head and fall asleep easier.

I found out about it at an MS Yoga class. It wasn't recommended....just a side conversation. I bought it at a vitamin store and found out the liquid works much faster.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Always best to take the least possible that works. 1 mg beats 5 mg. I will look into that. I just went to Walmart and there was only one choice.

I have been taking the melatonin along with the Ambien (md said that was okay for now) and have been sleeping 5 hours every night. Once even slept 6 with waking up twice, but able to go right back to sleep. I wake up feeling like I have slept which is a big change.

But I will look for the liquid at the lower dose.

Comment

Working...
                X