Brain Lesions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brain Lesions

Hi, all! I was just wondering...are 2-3mm lesions considered big or small? Is a 9x3mm lesion big? Is it common to have a lesion adjacent to the right occipital horn? What symptoms would that lesion produce? Thanks for any input!

Originally posted by DesertDiva View Post
    Hi, all! I was just wondering...are 2-3mm lesions considered big or small? Is a 9x3mm lesion big? Is it common to have a lesion adjacent to the right occipital horn? What symptoms would that lesion produce? Thanks for any input!
    Well I can only answer one of your questions, about size. I offically have not been told what is big but I have a 16mmX9mm lesion near or I guess in my cerabellum. So I would say 2-3 isnt too big.

CrazyCatLady
    MS Does Not Define Me.....My Love of Tea Does! LOL!

Comment

Average size ms lesions are 7-8mm(from the book MRI Atlas of MS lesion). by convention only lesions greater than 3mm in size have to be measure(from an article i read written by the rocky mountain ms center). over 3mm they are measured,under 3mm they can be described as small or often the word "puncuate" is used to describe even smaller dot size lesions.

i would guess 2- 3mm lesions are round and of smaller than average size, but big enough to require a measurement, so not the smallest either.

and 9mmx3mm is oval, slightly over average in one direction & requiring measurement in the other direction.
      a respectable sized lesion.
      xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDiva View Post
        Is it common to have a lesion adjacent to the right occipital horn? What symptoms would that lesion produce? Thanks for any input!
        i'm not certain what adjacent to the right occipital horn is located- it would be easier if it said were it was rather than what it is adjacent to.

here is a site the gives symptoms that can be caused by damage in parts of the brain....the brain has the ability to route around damage--so it doesn't mean the symptoms will happen just that they can happen. and often happening for a while until the brain is able to route around the damage, then the symptom stops happening.

it because the brain is "plastic" that it is able to route around damage---just might be slower because it doesn't do things in the most direct path, it takes a little extra time to reroute signal. that's why the visual evoked measurement can be used to determine if past ms damage has occurred to vision the visual signals are slower.
        xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Did i post the link to the brain functions site? i spent so much time explaining the site i think i forgot to post the link to it?

in case i did that here is the link again.

http://www.friendswithms.com/brain_f...ns_and_map.htm
          xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

i'm not certain what adjacent to the right occipital horn is located- it would be easier if it said were it was rather than what it is adjacent to.
            When you look at the butterfly -ish shape of the ventricles in the brain, from the top, the right occipital horn is the bottom of the right wing...the part that extends toward the back of the head , toward the occipital lobe. It's also known as the right posterior horn. A lesion adjacent to the right occipital horn is simply located next to that part of the ventricle.

DesertDiva,
            It could also be called periventricular, or next to the ventricle.This is the area they consider to be tell tale for MS, so yeah, it's pretty common to have lesions there. Seems the radiologist was just being specific in giving you the particular portion of the periventricular region in which the lesion in question is located.

Here's a link ( ignore the article, just looking at the MRI here) that shows lesions located at both the left and right occipital or posterior horns:
            http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com...entral/pvm.htm

Comment

Desert Diva, 2-3 mm is fairly small. I have some of those, but I also have one in my right frontal lobe that is 3 cm. Yikes!
              Portia

Comment

Thank you so much to everyone! Your information was very helpful!!!! I think I understand it better now.

Comment

Working...
                X