Copaxone - autoinject or manual??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copaxone - autoinject or manual??

I guess that I'm just wondering which method is preferred. I start Copaxone next week and I am hesitant. Which method works better to avoid the problems with it? Is manual injection safer, easier on your body?
    Love, Laugh, Live...in this order
    Dx'd 2-24-11 - Baclofen 60 mg/day 5-11, LDN 4.5 mg/day 9-24-11, Cymbalta 60mg/day for pain 11-11

When I was on Betaseron, I preferred manual. Seemed to make site reactions less.

However, for some reason, with Copaxone, the ability to set the depth on the auto-injector seems to be more effective at controlling site reactions for me than injecting manually.

And, now. Since I've been doing it with the AI for 2+ years, I've become too much of a needle-weenie, again, to consider going back to injecting manually.

I suspect, though, inmoni5, that we'll have varying opinions, and you may just need to try both for yourself and see what you prefer.

~ Faith
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
      I suspect, though, inmoni5, that we'll have varying opinions, and you may just need to try both for yourself and see what you prefer.
      Agreed! You should learn and try both. One may work better than the other for you. Plus, some sites can be easier with the AutoJect, like the butt and back of the arm.

That said, I personally avoid the thing like I would the plague. Site reations and pain are far worse for me with the AJ than manually. I have no trouble adjusting depth, the speed of the injection can be controlled so that it's slower and if you have dexterity issues, there's no loading and using the gadget. Though, I have to say that sometimes the syringe can be too small to manipulate sometimes w/o the grip.

Neither is "safer", it's just a matter of personal preference and what works for you.

Comment

I use both. Manual on stomach and thighs, injector on arms and hips (unless kiddo's do the shots then we use auto scared to let them do manual )

Good luck!
        Selina
        Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.~Menander

Comment

I have been on copaxone for 6 weeks now and I have only used the autoject and it works great for me. I thought I would want to do manual because I had heard the autoject was horrible but I don't even feel the needle and I have no site reactions so I am sticking with it. I would suggest starting with the autoject and then move to manual if you think you need to.

I may have my hubby start giving me manual injections on the thighs because that is the one site that does hurt a little.

Comment

I used the autoject for 2 years. Yea the site reactions sucked at first, but they get better over time. I think maybe the reason they are worse with the autoject is because it shoots the needle out so fast. I could never get up the nerve to do it manually, and I think it would be really difficult for some sites like arms and sides, but it's whatever you prefer. On the other hand, manually would give you more control which could be beneficial.

Comment

Autoject

I've used the autoject exclusively since starting Copaxone about five years ago. Twice during that time period I've had to manually inject heparin several times per day for 8 or 10 days. I had no problem with the manual procedure for heparin, but I would not abandon the autoject for Copaxone. It is especially helpful for back of arms and hips.

Comment

autoject

I use the autoject, it has become part of my routine. I load it at night before bed then after my shower in the morning I inject. I think about the site for that day so I can be sure to warm the area while in the shower. I have been fortunate to not have much for site or other side effects. Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Comment

Manual for me.
                  Terri
                  "God doesn't give you what you can handle, He helps you handle what you are given."

Comment

I use the autoject. I do mine in the evening right before bed.
                    This way if there is any irritation I won't have to wear uncomfortable clothes that might rub on the injection site. It also allows me to just lay down and relax (and hopefully sleep) if the injection makes me uncomfortable.

Comment

I used autoinject for 7 months faithfully. I was always too nervous to take the plunge!

Comment

I use both. Manual on the stomach and legs and auto on the arms and hips. I would do it all manual if I could, as I find it to be much more tolerable. I have terrible site reactions no matter what method I use. This drug is destroying my skin. But I guess I'd rather have itchy, peeling skin than feel like I have the flu all the time.
                        Jessi
                        Diagnosed 11/16/2010

Comment

Working...
                        X