Regarding portion control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding portion control

Portion control is a huge issue when losing weight. At home, I always use a measuring cup or a scale when filling my plate.

However, when I am away from home, I need to have a visual idea about how big a portion is. Here's something I just read:
    • 1 cup = a baseball
    • 1/2 cup = (the round part of) a lightbulb
    • 3 oz cooked meat = a deck of cards
    • 1 oz luncheon meat = a CD
    • 1.5 oz cheese = 3 dice (one dice is 1/2 oz; a serving size should be 1.0-1.5 oz)
    • 1 T (butter, salad dressing, etc.) = 1 poker chip
    • 2" square (brownie) - dental floss
    Here's a web address (with pictures) to a good visual with similar ideas: http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-portion-size-plate

It's also useful to imagine a small, lunch-size plate. Fill 1/4 with "good" carbs, 1/4 with protein and half with vegetables.

~ Faith
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Thank you Faith

The visual idea of portions is really cool!

Making healthy food choices and portion sizes just got easier.

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

yw, Koko. Glad it was helpful.

~ Faith
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Pretty cool; thanks for the link. I've started serving our dinners at home on the "lunch size" plates rather than full-size. I should measure things out, too, but haven't started doing that.

I joined WW Online and am enjoying tracking my food intake and activity level. I have, however, noticed that during this relapse (been going on about 4-5 months now) my energy level is SO low, I'm barely getting through a day at work. Coming home and exercising really isn't an option most days. BUT ... on those days when my muscles are cooperating and energy level is decent, I have discovered that belly dancing is SO MUCH FUN as an exercise regime. Its also, I'm sure, hilarious to watch

Comment

Working...
        X