Special Needs Trust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Special Needs Trust

To my fellow MSers, is anyone familiar with a SNT? As I'm finding out, the sale of my parents home (which has been my primary residence for the past two years) is going to have to be sold.

Back story: my brother had paid the property taxes, but is no longer willing to do so. I'm on SSDI and unable to keep up the house (or buy him out even for a very low price) so I've been advised to get a SNT to protect my Medicare/Medicaid benefits.

I'll be contacting the NMSS for guidance on attorneys (maybe even low-cost or pro-bono considering the situation), but does anyone at MS World have any guidance?

How much would setting up a SNT cost? If I have a close family friend as the trustee, is it economically doable?

Thanks, in advance, for your help!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Just something to be aware of... How the SNT relates to SS can vary widely be region. Some regions accept it; others make it hard. Make sure you find someone who knows YOUR region.

Comment

Yes, finding a lawyer in your region/state is a good idea.
      Also, some of these trusts have a "look back period," meaning things have to be in the trust for a certain period of time before they are protected. That's the way it is in Pennsylvania where I live. But, I think this varies from State to State. If you call the National MS Society, they will likely have a list of lawyers in your state who will be able to help you. The first call or two is often pro-bono.

Good Luck!

Alan

Comment

Thanks to all for your input! Needless to say, I'm a bit stressed about the upcoming sale of my parent's home (which has been my primary residence the last several years).

I'm worried how the sale will impact my Medicare (with Extra Help for Part D) benefits. I've been self-injecting Avonex for 15 years, so I really appreciate "avoiding the doughnut hole". . .sigh!

I'm definitely contacting the WPa Chapter of the NMSS for guidance on this critical issue!

Again, thank you!
        Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Comment

Finding Legal Help

I ended up using Legal Helpers after I could not get assistance from Legal Aid. The fees are reasonable and my attorney was great. Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
          X