No announcement yet.

everyday life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My friend has this analogy for MS that I like a lot. She says that our body is like a car. Somedays (good days) we get to drive the car, and other days we just sit in the driver's seat but we aren't driving - MS is driving the car. There isn't a thing we can do to change it - we can try to jerk the wheel and somedays we may get some control back but other days MS is just too strong and too in control and it keeps driving.

I am new to this, and a bit of a control freak so when those days come - I try to take over. I fight and fight and will not give in to the MS. I tell myself it is in my head and I do battle. I try to power through whatever is happening and most of the time I get through it unharmed. Just a few times did I regret this stubborn approach. Although, honestly I learned a lot those times too. I almost fainted once grocery shopping on a day I had just done too much and was trying to just "push through" the exhaustion. I learned that day to listen to *those* cues and NOT do too much in one day, especially one where I was tired!

I am not particularly found of what you are asking about, how one day I feel good and the next I feel like crap. I just want to live my life and muddle through it like everyone else. I guess I have to adapt to muddling through it feeling like crap a lot of the time. It sucks, but I am trying not to be bitter.
    Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
    ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

fatigue has always been my most troubling symptom and i am frustrated that there is little that can be done, we do not even have access to the medications that can help someone as they are not recognized for fatigue related issues here in australia as yet.

i have just gotten used to the fact that some days are a lot worse than others, some day i can manage most things i need to do without to much of a struggle but then other days it seems like even sitting up in my wheelchair is too much effort!

i have just decided that on my so called "good" days, i make hay while the sun is shining and the bus has not reached my neighbourhood yet (its probably just hit one of you!) and then wait for it to arrive at my stop - hit me, then reverse over me once or twice before heading to its next passenger!

Comment

Originally posted by NeuroNixed Craig View Post
        This is not to say I don't experience my kind of good days once and a while.
        I get what you're saying...I read "Active MSer" yesterday just to cheer myself up...it kind of did!
        Tawanda

Comment

Lazy me

I'm new sort of here and have the same problems like everyone but last year I woke up and I had no feeling in my lower body at all and could not move anything. I was in the hospital for 3 months. They tried iv and all kinds of meds but nothing worked. Finally after about 2 1/2 months I started to be able to move my left foot a little. Now after a year of being in a wheel chair I can stand. No I can not feel anything and I have to keep an eye on my legs so they dont take off on me, but I can sort of get around. So now every day is a good day compaired to a year ago. It still hurts but its numb, go figure. Now I am just up on myself because Im not in beed or the wheel chair like I was, Im now in a power chair and can sort of get around in my basement room where it cold.

I have had MS for 34 years now and I am 67 I wish I could give advice on how to keep yourself going all the time, but I just believe God keeps me going. I also know that I am the care GIVER for my wife and autistic daughter. So yes I cant give up or have a bad day, some times I just wish there was help form some where but then there are strings attached to help and they want to put you somewhere. So keep happy I must. Keep going I must. That is awful sounds like star wars or something. Hope this isnt too long.

Comment

Originally posted by girlgriffin711 View Post
            My problem is I feel like I'm running from that bus all day...only to be finally ran over.

Fatigue is kicking my butt! If I do any physical activity...(and I do mean ANY, changing my clothes, putting on my shoes, walking from my car into a building. etc) I am completely out of breath and feel as if my heart is going to beat out of my chest. Along with that, I have chronic pain in my back, hips, legs, hands, etc.. that make me feel like I've lost many races in front of that bus!
            Oh man, I could have written this post. I am sorry you are having such a hard time, but so thankful you chose to share it. It makes me feel a little more "normal."

Comment

Working...
            X