AVONEX v. REBIF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AVONEX v. REBIF

I have been on avonex since diagnosis. It will be 12 years next month. I am having some issues with the injections ( IM once a week) to the degree of considering giving it up. I am going to contact the neuro to see if they can start giving me the shot.

My question is this; has anyone gone from Avonex to Rebif? I undersand they come with an auto injector. Any insight would be appreciated.
    Patti
    Diagnosed 2/11/99
    Avonex 3/2/99
    Tried Tecfidera for 3 weeks. Couldn't handle side affects. Back on Avonex, for now.

I changed from Avonex to Rebif. For me, the autoinjector was helpful only for places I couldn't position my hand well for injecting, which was really just my backside. Otherwise I found it to be a contraption that was more trouble than it was worth. For places I could reach and position my hand properly, I preferred to inject manually -- more control that way.

Comment

I was on Avonex back in the late 90's. While on it, I went from my wheelchair, to a cane, to walking (albeit slowly, using shopping cart). I did notice that on the 5th day, I would lose my voice. I called biogen and they informed me that the med was "wearing off" by the 5th day. I was able to get the Avonex every 5 days (as oppose to 7), and since I'm rather thin, Pharmacist suggested using the same size needle that diabetics take (MUCH smaller). I am now on Rebif, which is basically Avonex, higher dose more frequently. I'd much rather take Avonex twice a week as oppose to jabbing myself 3x's per week.
      MS, it's a brain thang!
      Proud to have served, U.S Army WAC

Comment

Avonex v.Rebif

Wow I am surprised that I am hearing you prefer Avonex and those needles v. an auto injector.
        WACVet: I didnt know you/we had an option to using the diabetic needles since Avonex is an IM injection and not subQ? Also, didnt know you could take it earlier than once a week.

I am seeing the neuro Monday afternoon to discuss options. Im thinking they are not going to go for giving me my shots once a week, even if I pay the $25 co pay to bring myself and medications in their office.
        Patti
        Diagnosed 2/11/99
        Avonex 3/2/99
        Tried Tecfidera for 3 weeks. Couldn't handle side affects. Back on Avonex, for now.

Comment

I'm on Avonex, but I don't use the needles that come with it. My neuro doesn't want me to. I use 25 gauge needles and he was going to order me 27 or even 30 if I wanted. Apparently 27 or 30 are not Avonex approved, but he says it's perfectly okay. He messed up and forgot to write refills for the thinner needles and then his office couldn't figure out what needles to call in the second month. I ended up with 1 inch 25 gauge needles that said "for diabetic use only" on them. They were actually attached to a syringe and I had to take them off. I didn't like them at all. I used them twice and decided I couldn't use them again. To me, they hurt. They were too short (or it could be my leg is too fat). The first ones he gave me didn't hurt. I'm back to the original 25 gauge ones he wanted me to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Patti3250 View Post
            Wow I am surprised that I am hearing you prefer Avonex and those needles v. an auto injector.
            WACVet: I didnt know you/we had an option to using the diabetic needles since Avonex is an IM injection and not subQ? Also, didnt know you could take it earlier than once a week.

I am seeing the neuro Monday afternoon to discuss options. Im thinking they are not going to go for giving me my shots once a week, even if I pay the $25 co pay to bring myself and medications in their office.
            A VA Pharmacist, who had been a medic in Nam, looked at me and flat out said that as thin as I am, a diabetic needle would be sufficient! I used the diabetic needles with no problems at all. Avonex is prescribed every 7 days. I chose, on my own, to medicate every 5 days, as my body (via losing my voice) was letting me know it was wearing off. I did that for well over a year, and that was back in the late 90's..... Now, there's Rebif!
            MS, it's a brain thang!
            Proud to have served, U.S Army WAC

Comment

When I first started Avonex, I had the shots done at my neuro's office by a nurse. I don't think I was the only one, it may be more common that you think. There was no charge.

Another member here had her shots done at her family physician's office.

Let us know what happens at your appointment!

Comment

Ok call me a chicken but my husband gives me my weekly
                Avonex injection. For some strange reason it hurts less
                when someone else gives it to me.

Kathy
                What YOU Are Is ... GOD'S Gift to You
                What YOU Make Of Yourself Is ... Your Gift To GOD

Comment

Thanks, will let you know. I am goin to the Neuro Monday afternoon.
                  Patti
                  Diagnosed 2/11/99
                  Avonex 3/2/99

Comment

Saw the Neuro today.

He wont do the shots at the office..not surprised and almost relieved that I do not have to make that decision.

He doesn't suggest I switch meds until he determines if I am still getting the benefit of the interferon. If I built up my immunity to Avonex then Rebif won't work. What would be the point in that? So, going to try to get an antigen / antibody test done to determine first. Insurance has to approve...they didnt the last time it was pursued....

My last set of MRI's were good so no point in stopping right now. I agree, I need to be on something. Also prescribed Neurontin for the issue I am having with my feet.
                    Thats the update.
                    Patti
                    Diagnosed 2/11/99
                    Avonex 3/2/99

Comment

Working...
                    X