eye exam (refraction) for glasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eye exam (refraction) for glasses

OK, just want to see if I am crazy or if others have the same issues when getting tested for new glasses... I always feel like I'm not sure when they ask me "is this better, or this... or this?" I often wonder if I'm getting the lens prescription that I really need or if it won't be right when I get it.

I recently had my refraction done and as always was very unsure of which lenses were better than the others. (Especially since the last glasses I got never seemed right to me and I didn't do anything about it at the time.) Not sure if having had ON made it more difficult for me to be sure because of the visual field deficit, but I felt very unsure about which lenses were best.

In talking about it with my husband afterward, he was very dismissive of the whole thing... said "it's really easy to tell which is better... you just ask them to repeat it (which I did), I don't know why you are making such a big deal of the whole thing."

Anyway, the whole conversation with him bothered me... the dismissiveness (he tends to be like that anyway). Anyone else have this issue?

I have the same problem. I'm always honest with them when I can't tell, though. I figure it eliminates problems.

Comment

eyes!

I try to find a non chain place to go. They will take more time with you. I also go at the end of the day when my eyes are more tired. Sure it is more expensive there. I get my prescription written down for me so I can get my computer glasses at a chain store. I use old frames on them ahyway.
      techie
      Another pirated saying:
      Half of life is if.
      When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
      Dogs Rule!

Comment

Just be honest during your eye exam --- if you can't tell the difference say, if one change "looks" better than the other then say it does.

The eye exam is to get you the best possible correction needed but the Opthamologist or Optometrist needs your honest input.

If your experience with the current Opthamologist/Optometrist didn't work out well then find another who you are more comfortable with.

If I hesitate in answering during an eye exam my Opthamolgist simply starts flipping the lenses again. He assumes, correctly, that I can't tell the difference.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I used to go to an Opthamologist and then would have my glasses made by the optician in her office. They were okay, but sometimes I had issues.

Now I go to an Optometrist who also makes/grinds his own lenses...and I've had excellent results.

He seems pretty in the know when it comes to MS. I was having a bit of a double vision or shadow vision problem and this last time he added prisms to my prescription....wow, what a difference. Now I can see where the actually line is when I have to sign a form, or fill out something.

I have the same problem when they're asking which is better...drives me crazy.

Here's a funny comedy sketch from Brian Regan on Eye Exams...he has the same problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8GMF...eature=related

Comment

I understand what you are talking about. I've had this same problem. This is what I've found that helps me.

Ask them to slow down. A lot of the time I think being able to tell the difference takes me longer than usual. I mean sometimes they are going so quick can't really focus to see which one is better.

Then if you really can't tell any difference let them know. From one lens to another sometimes is very little difference.
            Jen

Comment

I have an awfull time as well which is better or was it which is worse?

One of the best I had was a jewlery store optician, he took plenty fo time and did a great job. On time I went to the BEST eye MD in town and he did a very bad job, so bad I could tell from the Rx he wrote. I paid the bill and went across the hallt to my olde J store opty guy, he diid it RIGHT and the glasses were great as well.

Gomer Dr. of, Been There, Done That

Comment

Working...
              X