Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those suffering from severe depression... new hope?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those suffering from severe depression... new hope?

I ran across an article by accident that really caught my eye, and thought I'd share it with those who have had or continue to suffer from severe depression. What I found most interesting is how fast it works (within hours).

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0819141913.htm

I have no idea if/when it will come to market, but I still found the concept encouraging. I've had moments where horrible depression literally comes out of nowhere, even while on Cymbalta, and I just want it to stop immediately so I can function. I know many of you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I guess we'll see what happens, but I'm glad they are at least exploring new uses for existing medications, and discovering new ones altogether.
    dx Transverse Myelitis March/2008 - dx upgraded to RRMS June/2008
    Rebif June/2008
    Tysabri October/2010

Ketamine has to be administered IV in a doctor's office. It can have worrisome side effects and isn't suitable for long-term treatment of depression.

What's interesting about the article is that researchers have discovered that "ketamine acts on a pathway that rapidly forms new synaptic connections between neurons -- a process called 'synaptogenesis.'"

Hopefully further research will lead to other drugs with similar modes of action that can be taken orally on a daily basis.

Comment

Yes, that's exactly what they're trying to do... to separate the good from the bad to create an effective treatment. I can't find the other article I found, but it mentioned making it into a pill form.

Interesting nonetheless.
      Rebif June/2008
      Tysabri October/2010

Comment

I'm always happy to hear about new approaches to antidepressant meds being researched. I'm one of the 40% for whom the existing ADs do not work, and some pharmaceutically-induced relief would be awfully nice!

Ketamine scares me, though. I can't see how all the tweaking in the world could change its fundamental characteristic, which is to induce a dissociative state.

Dissociation is perceived as a positive, even pleasurable, experience by some people (hence Ketamine's popularity as a street drug), but for anyone who has DID or PTSD it's anything but enjoyable. I'm guessing (as a total layperson) that it's terror from the dissociation that causes a percentage of Ketamine users to experience temporary psychosis.

Time (and research) will tell, though.

FWIW, my own psychopharmacologist says that the endorphins are the most promising avenue of research for new ADs (and, of course, the reason why LDN improves mood).

Comment

Can't disagree with you on the scary factor involved. I'm pretty sure I'd skip getting in on that clinical trial. LOL
          Rebif June/2008
          Tysabri October/2010

Comment

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents:

Depression was the very first symptom (they didn't know that at the time) of MS. At age 42 vacuming my son's room I started crying and could not stop. So began a long horrible nightmare, full of every drug out there - over 46 different ones, many hospitalizations, ECT treatments, and years of therapy. No one could figure out why I had this severe depression. My life is great. Yet I kept trying to kill myself.

MRI's show that except for two, all my lessions are in the frontal lobe and this may be why. Yet 5 years of Copaxone really didn't help in this area.

I have had 21 infusions of Tysabri and am completly depression free. Totally. I no longer take any meds, I no longer see my psych doc, I no longer see my therapist - I email him every 6 weeks or so just to stay in touch - and my PCP said at my phyical this past summer that is the first time he has ever seen me not at least slightly depressed. My neuro said she has never seen this effect in a Tysabri patient. But she only has 7 people on the drug. But I know depression is listed as a side effect, so I can't speak for anyone else only myself.

As the numbers of PML patients continues to rise, I do think about it more. But, I know for a fact, that without Tysabri I would not be here. It is more than worth the risk to me. And I am very aware of what to watch for as is my husband.

I find even on MS sites, depression isn't really talked about. For me, it was the worse thing I have ever had to endure. But, it seems to be behind me. I hope so. My doctor said it is definately the Tysabri, she just isn't sure exactly why or how.

Just wanted to share.

Comment

Working...
            X